Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PeterAit on June 03, 2013, 08:14:41 am

Title: Flower and leaf
Post by: PeterAit on June 03, 2013, 08:14:41 am
Panasonic G3 with 45-200mm Lumix lens.
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: louoates on June 03, 2013, 09:23:42 am
Simple. Pleasing. Refreshingly different. Well done.

I'll add that there is nothing to add nor nothing to subtract.
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 03, 2013, 09:27:51 am
A classical beauty.
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 03, 2013, 09:43:49 am
+1
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: orchidblooms on June 03, 2013, 09:56:17 am
looks like a spathiphyllum.... 

I like what you have done here...

Phil
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: nemo295 on June 03, 2013, 10:16:00 am
Beautiful and elegant. Well done!
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: David Eckels on June 03, 2013, 10:25:32 am
I agree compositionally fabulous. That being said, the spots on the lower right are distracting to me. Spot 'em out?
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 03, 2013, 03:01:38 pm
I agree compositionally fabulous. That being said, the spots on the lower right are distracting to me. Spot 'em out?

My thoughts exactly.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: nemo295 on June 03, 2013, 03:22:57 pm
The spots don't bother me. I think they're an interesting pattern that adds a certain character to the flower.
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: PeterAit on June 04, 2013, 10:17:19 am
I agree compositionally fabulous. That being said, the spots on the lower right are distracting to me. Spot 'em out?

I thought about removing those spots, and actually did remove a few other small blemishes. But, the way those spots are arranged in an almost geometrical grid fascinates me and adds, perhaps, a tough of mystery, so I decided to leave them.
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: David Eckels on June 04, 2013, 09:11:42 pm
I thought about removing those spots, and actually did remove a few other small blemishes. But, the way those spots are arranged in an almost geometrical grid fascinates me and adds, perhaps, a tough of mystery, so I decided to leave them.
All (appropriate) praise due to the artist. It's a fabulous photo.
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: rogerxnz on June 05, 2013, 12:12:26 am
I feel the image is not satisfying because the light-toned flower is not perfect and, I suspect, not perfectly sharp.

If this image is about the beauty of the flower and how it contrasts with the shade and texture of the leaf in the background, I consider the flower should be beautiful but it has blemishes (top left), bumps/dents (mid-right), creases in the spine (just above the mid-point of the spine) and a few folds/creases (top right quadrant).

I do not mind the spots in the lower right quadrant because they are regular and in a pattern.

There is a strange small burst of light just above where the edge of the flower meets the edge of the leaf and this should be toned down.

I would like to see some highlights in the dark leaf but accept that it may not improve the image
Roger
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: Riccardo on June 06, 2013, 04:49:22 am
I feel the image is not satisfying because the light-toned flower is not perfect

I fear that the flower of your dreams exists only in the fairy realm of Photoshop, or maybe here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/decoration/12806/#

I like this picture and all its "imperfections".
Title: Re: Flower and leaf
Post by: graeme on June 07, 2013, 03:59:23 am
Lovely shot Peter.

Please leave the spots.

Graeme