Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: LizardKing on May 30, 2013, 03:40:44 am

Title: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: LizardKing on May 30, 2013, 03:40:44 am
(http://club.foto.ru/gallery/images/photo/2013/05/30/2160178.jpg)

(http://club.photo-element.ru/albums/albums/userpics/10093/773-H-130519-RolleiIR-005.jpg)

(http://club.photo-element.ru/albums/albums/userpics/10093/773-H-130519-RolleiIR-002.jpg)
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: Riccardo on May 30, 2013, 06:21:41 am
The second image is wonderful!
It's one of those images that I don't get tired of watching.
I like also the first (a lot, even if the second has "something" that bewitched me).
About the third, I need more time.
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: francois on May 30, 2013, 06:27:20 am
Excellent shots. I'm still split as for my favorite. Photo #1 is, at the moment, taking the upper hand but #2 is really close. Photo #3 is also very pleasing but I'm more attracted by the mood of the first two images.
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: MattNQ on May 30, 2013, 07:23:07 am
I find all to be very good - they all grab one's attention for a while as the eye wanders around the image.
# 1 is my pick though, for its dark & almost threatening mood.
The third is almost an escape from the first - very different feel to it
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 30, 2013, 12:59:41 pm
I like them all for differing reasons...common thread of mystique.
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: Harald L on May 30, 2013, 03:00:19 pm
I like all of them despite none of them induces a feeling of spring in me. Perhaps spring needs some fresh color...
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 30, 2013, 03:27:55 pm
I like all of them despite none of them induces a feeling of spring in me.

True, but consider that spring, sadly, is peak suicide time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_effects_on_suicide_rates). These succeed at invoking mixed feelings. I especially like #3.
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: Justan on May 30, 2013, 05:02:50 pm
The first image is one of the bolder applications of B&W I’ve seen recently. Not only is it challenging to make a dark image that isn’t ultimately boring, but it’s harder yet to do it in B&W. To me this work has succeeded but I wonder if others think it’s too dark?

The bigger impact of the first image is that it strikes a chord like a distant memory of a nearly forgotten place or time. In a way not unlike that of Rorschach's ink blots, the work inspires a degree of projecting one’s emotions on the scene, and it’s provocative due to that.

Nicely done.
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: nemo295 on May 30, 2013, 05:12:24 pm
Lizzie, you're killing me with all this gorgeous work you've been posting. I love it.
Title: Re: Some bw spring pictures, thank you!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 01, 2013, 06:52:26 pm
#1 and #2 = WOW.

Totally stunning.

Dave