Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mdg on May 28, 2013, 03:27:15 am

Title: Mt. Fuji
Post by: mdg on May 28, 2013, 03:27:15 am
Please critique...thank you (bow)
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Harald L on May 28, 2013, 04:37:44 am
+1 Very impressive. Emphasizes the magic of Mt. Fuji.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: mdg on May 28, 2013, 07:06:20 am
+1 Very impressive. Emphasizes the magic of Mt. Fuji.

Thank you...I'm glad you like it (bow)
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: francois on May 28, 2013, 07:11:18 am
Simply stunning! I love the black sky and the light/dark foreground. Mount Fuji is like a jewel in its case.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 28, 2013, 07:29:47 am
Very nice. Stunning but not overpowering.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Riccardo on May 28, 2013, 08:39:59 am
As your first picture posted, I really like this one, even more, but (as in your first picture) I feel something unconvincing in the sky. (maybe over-processed?)
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 28, 2013, 09:19:54 am
Excellent!
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 28, 2013, 09:24:00 am
I really like this shot, the B&W rendering is quite simply superb, not too sure about the big slab of black ground middle right, but in the sky I think the blackness really works well, because it has balance across the image, whereas the weight of the black mid ground hillside, makes the shot look a little right hand heavy to me.

But the balance issue aside, I really, really like it.

Dave
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 28, 2013, 10:09:51 am
I like it a lot. It has the look I would expect if Ansel photographed Mount Fuji. And that dark, Ansel-like sky may be what some are complaining about. But for me it works perfectly.

Eric M.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Riccardo on May 28, 2013, 11:16:39 am
I looked at the picture again and I realized that what perplexes me is not the darkness of the sky, but the fact that it suddenly becomes black.
The transition between the lightness and the darkness of the sky seems to me that betrays the intervention of the author.
Obviously we are talking about nuances and this shows indirectly the goodness of the image.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: RSL on May 28, 2013, 11:19:44 am
What Eric said. . . +1.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: mdg on May 28, 2013, 12:24:20 pm
not too sure about the big slab of black ground middle right

I think you have a good point...i'll try to work on that...thank you
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: mdg on May 28, 2013, 12:34:06 pm
I did my best to apply balance in everything for this shot.  Probably with enough experience and your guidance, I can still improve.

Thank you all so much for your comments...I'm really enjoying sharing my work here...I hope to get better.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 28, 2013, 02:41:58 pm
Stunning.

But I agree with Dave about the centre-right.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Michael West on May 28, 2013, 10:36:03 pm
Bravo. You have redefined an icon.
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: mdg on May 29, 2013, 04:38:49 am
not too sure about the big slab of black ground middle right

For some reason, I feel it is better with the big slab of black
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Riccardo on May 29, 2013, 04:48:50 am
For some reason, I feel it is better with the big slab of black

I agree!
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: Rob C on May 29, 2013, 02:53:46 pm
I'm beginning to understand that the world isn't as we believed: why else would Kilimajaro in Tanzania seem to be the melting, opposite side of Fuji in Japan?

Rob C
Title: Re: Mt. Fuji
Post by: mdg on May 29, 2013, 11:55:04 pm
I'm beginning to understand that the world isn't as we believed: why else would Kilimajaro in Tanzania seem to be the melting, opposite side of Fuji in Japan?

Sorry I forgot the name of this Lake but I was standing on a viewing spot for tourist. 

I prefer going to Lake Yamanakako where most photographers (I presume) go for ground level shot of Mt. Fuji (attached image)