Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: bdosserman on May 24, 2013, 10:01:44 am
-
I often find myself drawn to square crops, although I've never shot with a native square camera (well, not since kindergarten). The recent thread on the topic inspired me to post a few of my mine. These are from Rio de Janeiro a few years ago. C&C appreciated!
Brian
PS A propos of the discussion of square viewfinding, I thought I'd mention that the GH2 actually has a square mode for the EVF. It's just a crop of the 4:3 rectangle (unlike the 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 modes, each of which actually go to the edge of the image circle), but it could be helpful for composing.
-
The second shot is made for a square crop, and it is a well executed image of a beautiful piece of artwork. .
The first and last images don't seem to reap any great benefit from the square crop--by that I mean that the fact that they are square, doesn't magnify the subject or compositional effectiveness in any significant way.
-
The second shot is made for a square crop, and it is a well executed image of a beautiful piece of artwork. .
The first and last images don't seem to reap any great benefit from the square crop--by that I mean that the fact that they are square, doesn't magnify the subject or compositional effectiveness in any significant way.
Thanks for your comments. For the first and third, do you mean that a different crop would be preferable, or just that the square one isn't obviously superior? The second was a no-brainer, but I experimented with different compositions for the other two before settling on the square ones.
Brian
-
Just that the square crop isn't obviously superior.
-
Just that the square crop isn't obviously superior.
It's not superior, but exudes a kind of aristocratic nobility.