Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattNQ on May 22, 2013, 11:22:06 pm

Title: The windows of the soul need a good clean...
Post by: MattNQ on May 22, 2013, 11:22:06 pm

A few shots of an interesting local church up close and personal
Couple of extreme angles, which I think kind of suits the subject windows  - although looking at them together gets a bit much  ::)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Light-and-Dark/i-GChHMpR/0/L/P4129237_editmod2-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Light-and-Dark/i-mDRLFRx/0/L/P4129250_editmod1-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Light-and-Dark/i-6zSL3dw/0/L/P4129244_editmod1-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Light-and-Dark/i-TNHPwKH/0/L/P4129236_editmod1-L.jpg)

Any thoughts? too overprocessed? Angles too dramatic?
Shot around middayish. Does the backlighting from the sun add or detract ?

Fire away (I have my flak jacket on  ;D)




Title: Re: The windows of the soul need a good clean...
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2013, 05:47:29 pm
A few shots of an interesting local church up close and personal
Couple of extreme angles, which I think kind of suits the subject windows  - although looking at them together gets a bit much  ::)

Any thoughts? too overprocessed? Angles too dramatic?
Shot around middayish. Does the backlighting from the sun add or detract ?

Fire away (I have my flak jacket on  ;D)

building itself - looks lke odd burning in.




Maybe you answered your own question.

I don't see anything amiss with the angles - drama is good. Where I think you lose it a bit is in the pure white areas next to the building itself - looks like odd burning in, and spoils it a bit for me.

Rob C
Title: Re: The windows of the soul need a good clean...
Post by: RSL on May 23, 2013, 06:25:38 pm
+1. The clouds are way over-zapped.
Title: Re: The windows of the soul need a good clean...
Post by: MattNQ on May 23, 2013, 07:51:12 pm
Thank you gents for the feedback.
 I used a GND to attempt to reign in the sky, but probably still too much backlight.
Probably more work on the RAWs I can improve the sky, but the easier option might be to re-shoot when the sun is lower ;D