Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on May 22, 2013, 11:45:29 am

Title: Orange Flower
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 22, 2013, 11:45:29 am
(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/8787041664_64582dd01e_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: francois on May 23, 2013, 08:57:12 am
Chris,
I like the vivid colors but I'm having trouble to find some balance. So, for me, it's an interesting image and I'd need more time to make up my mind.
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 23, 2013, 10:39:50 am
I also did this as a square crop with some additional editing. See if this works better for you, Francois.

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8792197041_06561e70bd_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: louoates on May 23, 2013, 11:35:43 am
For me, closer is almost always better. My vote is for the square view.
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: Richowens on May 23, 2013, 11:51:04 am
 
 I find that most of my flower shots wind up cropped square.

 Nicely done Chris.

 Rich
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: francois on May 24, 2013, 02:39:35 am
I also did this as a square crop with some additional editing. See if this works better for you, Francois.


Yes, Chris, the square crop works very well for me. It's simpler and cleaner!
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 24, 2013, 10:28:00 am
Add my vote for the square version.

Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: fike on May 24, 2013, 10:44:40 am
I like the square one better--not because the composition is particularly suited to a square crop, but because it decreases the negative area that lacks any reinforcing meaning to the general image. There are probably other crops that aren't 1:1 that could be nice with this one too--maybe a portrait 4:3 or 5:4. Heck as long as you get rid of the empty space on the edges, even a landscape crop looks good.
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: amolitor on May 24, 2013, 03:27:46 pm
Huh?

The square version is a picture of a flower.

The original is a set of crossing lines, leading the eye to and supporting a central subject, which happens to be a flower. It's much much better.
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: Tonysx on May 24, 2013, 06:00:27 pm
I'm with Amolitor on this one. Not necessarily better but more interesting than the square version
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: nemo295 on May 24, 2013, 06:27:00 pm
I'm inclined to go with the square one.
Title: Re: Orange Flower
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 24, 2013, 10:32:34 pm
The idea behind the first presentation was to break a few rules, allowing the stems to lead the eye to the center, the orange flower. I placed the longest leading stem on the bottom 1/3 quadrant and midpoint of the flower in the upper third. I still think there is merit to that thought pursuit but I think Fike's suggestion of eliminating the dead space in a rectangular format could be the best of both worlds. I'll sit on this for another week or so and have a later looksee.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.