Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on May 18, 2013, 12:12:27 pm

Title: morning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 18, 2013, 12:12:27 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: morning
Post by: RSL on May 18, 2013, 12:26:44 pm
Very nice, Jeremy. Have you tried a B&W conversion? It's awfully close to monochrome already.
Title: Re: morning
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 18, 2013, 12:39:43 pm
... It's awfully close to monochrome already.

And I think it is precisely that quality that makes it worthwhile in color. Very nice!
Title: Re: morning
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 18, 2013, 01:31:24 pm
Yes, the colour makes it. I like the lines here, especially the gate in the lower left.
Title: Re: morning
Post by: RSL on May 18, 2013, 02:05:48 pm
I tried the conversion and I agree. The color makes it.
Title: Re: morning
Post by: Harald L on May 18, 2013, 04:26:41 pm
I like these slightly desaturated colors. Works much better than b/w for me.
Title: Re: morning
Post by: wolfnowl on May 18, 2013, 07:50:24 pm
You could do a duotone with sepia in the highlights and selenium in the shadows, but that's what you have already...  :)

Mike.
Title: Re: morning
Post by: Colorwave on May 18, 2013, 07:52:43 pm
Well done.  Quite appealing, Jeremy.
Title: Re: morning
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 18, 2013, 10:14:19 pm
Very nice just the way it is, Jeremy.

Eric M.

Title: Re: morning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 19, 2013, 03:56:12 pm
Thanks for the comments.

Russ, I thought exactly as you did when I first looked at this shot. I converted it to B&W and played with it quite a lot. I managed to get more contrast in the sky, with better-defined clouds, but somehow it never looked right.

Eventually, I abandoned it altogether: I suppose I forgot that it was originally in colour.

Over three years later (it's a Christmas Day shot), I came back to it and found that a little desaturation (not much) did the trick much better than completely removing the colour. What doesn't show up well in the jpeg I posted is a rather lovely subtle pinkish tinge to the sky in the upper right, which suggests a warmth that contrasts nicely with the obvious chill.

Never throw them away!

Jeremy
Title: Re: morning
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 20, 2013, 01:03:53 pm
I also like the gold behind the gate, a reward for closer inspection.