Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: grzybu on May 17, 2013, 05:03:53 am

Title: Fields of gold
Post by: grzybu on May 17, 2013, 05:03:53 am
Hi,

On my last bike trip I just couldn't resist shooting this view.
(http://grzyboo.com/temp/_1040628-01_web.jpg)
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Tony Jay on May 17, 2013, 05:37:22 am
Nice!
I like the perspective and I like the light.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: francois on May 17, 2013, 07:01:35 am
Very nice, I like the trees on the left, they provide an anchor point for the gold-color field. The soft light and long shadows are just perfect for this type of landscape.
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 17, 2013, 09:07:30 am
You were there at just the right time, and you captured the moment beautifully.


Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: dhancock on May 17, 2013, 11:07:59 am
Great job!
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Rob C on May 17, 2013, 12:02:42 pm
Have to admit, that's one great advantage of life on two wheels: you can stop just when something is right!

You have no idea how many shots I've not even taken because I couldn't stop. We have some beautiful mountain roads here, snaking through the Tramuntana range that runs north-east to south-west (or the other way around, if you live in the city - it's a snob thing) and some of the sights are breathtaking. Considering that if you have the great misfortune to find yourself behing a tour coach trundling along the line you will inevitably face the prospect of an hour's frustration, you can understand the very real unwillingness to create further suicidal chaos.

Very nice image.

Rob C
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: walter.sk on May 17, 2013, 12:07:38 pm
Very nice composition, with great lighting.  If I had a dollar for every attempt I've made with such fields that came to nothing, I'd be rich.  Usually, I try to close in more on the field of flowers, but by backing off and framing it with the trees and green fields, you've conveyed what I have always been unsuccessful at.  Kudos!
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 17, 2013, 12:28:29 pm
You were there at just the right time, and you captured the moment beautifully.

+1
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: RSL on May 17, 2013, 01:38:33 pm
+1
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: AFairley on May 17, 2013, 02:22:29 pm
Very nice, I like the trees on the left, they provide an anchor point for the gold-color field. The soft light and long shadows are just perfect for this type of landscape.
+1
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Harald L on May 17, 2013, 05:40:32 pm
+1
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: cjogo on May 17, 2013, 09:38:53 pm
Wonder image -- just at the right time ~!
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: grzybu on May 20, 2013, 04:27:30 am
Thanks for comments.
Indeed, I was in right place at the right moment.
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Harald L on May 20, 2013, 05:09:44 am
As Rob always said it's a pity: Right now you always drive thru full blown fields of canola and you don't have the time nor the opportunity to stop by and take some pictures. Inspired by your work I've got up early this morning to make some shots. After that I admire your picture more than yesterday. It's pretty hard to find a location were you can make shots like yours. Most fields are fringed by impenetrable hedges (in the northern of Germany we call it Knicks) and the accesses of almost all fields are very muddy (and I've forgotten my Wellies...)

So, once again, kudos!
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Rob C on May 20, 2013, 09:44:47 am
Wonder image -- just at the right time ~!

For me, that's a far superior crop.

Unfortunately for me, I can only do similar by cropping the dslr (as here) and that's self-defeating because the file gets tiny. Worse, it's far more difficult to visualise what's going on when you work square within an oblong viewfinder...

Perhaps I should have kept a record of the number of times I would later curse myself for having traded away my Swedish squares for larger Japanese oblongs... goddam stock libraries!

Rob C
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 20, 2013, 12:54:47 pm
Great image, good crop.
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 20, 2013, 03:30:40 pm
For me, that's a far superior crop.

That's your obsession with squares showing through, Rob. I (respectfully) disagree. I like the sense of the field's stretching into infinity in the original.

It's a lovely shot.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Fields of gold
Post by: Richowens on May 20, 2013, 04:42:59 pm
No matter how you cut it, it is a delicious shot.

Rich