Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Richowens on May 16, 2013, 06:10:35 pm

Title: Scottish Games
Post by: Richowens on May 16, 2013, 06:10:35 pm
 

  (http://richowens.smugmug.com/Other/Scottish-Games/i-c79fkvx/0/L/_DSC6565-2-L.jpg)

 Comments always welcome.
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 16, 2013, 06:27:57 pm
Woman: "So tell me, what's worn beneath your kilt?"

Jock: "Mah hen, naethin' is worn, it's aw in tip-top condition"
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 17, 2013, 03:16:39 am
Woman: "So tell me, what's worn beneath your kilt?"

Jock: "Mah hen, naethin' is worn, it's aw in tip-top condition"

Oh dear.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: stamper on May 17, 2013, 04:08:57 am
Nothing more tragic than an English man trying to mimic a Scotsman.... or woman. ;D
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Rob C on May 17, 2013, 05:02:46 am
Yes there is: someone trying to mimic an American accent; or how about me trying to sing?

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 17, 2013, 07:28:24 pm
Yes there is: someone trying to mimic an American accent; or how about me trying to sing?

;-)

Rob C

No I totally disagree with you there Rob, it is an American trying to mimic an English accent.

Invariably, it is assumed by our US cousins, that over here we all speak 'Cockney" or more descriptively 'Mockney' and as such we walk around all day saying things like - "Gawd luvva duck, wotcha" and "yorr avin a larf", etc.

So every time I see a repeat of Frasier and the guy who is suppose to be Daphne's bother from Manchester, but who was probably born in New York, and who uses this awful 'Mockney' accent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYhwZV7p9dM) and calls her "Daff-err-knee".  Aaarrrggghhh, it really sets my teeth on edge. And of course I will not mention Dick Van Dyke's ridiculous 'Mockney' accent in Mary Poppins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_rVzBt20N0).. ::)

Dave
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: rgs on May 22, 2013, 01:07:47 pm
It's not limited to the UK, Dave. Americans foul up their own regional dialects. I'm in Oklahoma. We don't sound a bit like folks in NY and Hollywood think we do.
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 22, 2013, 01:36:44 pm
I checked with my wife, and she says the Scots accent thingy is fine
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: stamper on May 23, 2013, 03:35:35 am
I checked with my wife, and she says the Scots accent thingy is fine

Do you always listen to what she tells you or do you have "selective" hearing? ;D
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 23, 2013, 05:10:35 am
On things Scottish, I generally defer to her. Unless it's mountains, whisky or ale.
Title: Re: Scottish Games
Post by: Richowens on May 23, 2013, 11:46:58 am
On things Scottish, I generally defer to her. Unless it's mountains, whisky or ale.

 I'll drink to that ;D