Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Dan Wells on April 23, 2013, 02:38:57 pm

Title: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Dan Wells on April 23, 2013, 02:38:57 pm
    I've finally gotten tired of waiting for Apple to upgrade the Mac Pro, and am building a Hackintosh - even though it's my first Hackintosh, I have a lot of experience with Macs, and with putting hardware together, so I feel very confident about the project overall. The one question I can't find an answer to is what video card (GPU) to use...The Hackintosh forums are full of people using $400-$500 GeForces and Radeons (and both seem to work), but they are buying their expensive cards for gaming or 3D work... Nobody seems to have looked at GPUs in the context of photo editing only (along with some video editing, but no After Effects or 3D work). Will I regret just throwing a $100 GPU in an expensive machine, or would I regret wasting money on a more expensive GPU, because my applications don't benefit?

            -Dan
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: AFairley on April 23, 2013, 03:32:24 pm
My personal experience running Lightroom on a Windows machine and using a 30" monitor is that a more powerful GPU reduces the lag when you make adjustments with the sliders.  But screen refresh lag of that kind is not a problem if you are using a smaller monitor (or zooming the image smaller when you edit on the large monitor).
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Craig Lamson on April 23, 2013, 04:42:51 pm
    I've finally gotten tired of waiting for Apple to upgrade the Mac Pro, and am building a Hackintosh - even though it's my first Hackintosh, I have a lot of experience with Macs, and with putting hardware together, so I feel very confident about the project overall. The one question I can't find an answer to is what video card (GPU) to use...The Hackintosh forums are full of people using $400-$500 GeForces and Radeons (and both seem to work), but they are buying their expensive cards for gaming or 3D work... Nobody seems to have looked at GPUs in the context of photo editing only (along with some video editing, but no After Effects or 3D work). Will I regret just throwing a $100 GPU in an expensive machine, or would I regret wasting money on a more expensive GPU, because my applications don't benefit?

            -Dan

Be REALLY careful what prats you buy.  Trying to make some stuff ok on a hack can be down right brutal. Tony Mac has the best site and a great parts list for you to follow.  I've built two  over the last few years, one with ATI 5000 gpu and the latest with a GTX670.  New ATI cards and now starting to be supported with 10.8.3 If you want to talk hacks, send me a private message.

I just bought some low end parts to help my 14 year old nephew build his first computer.  Test assembled it to make sure nothing was doa before I travel to then and loaded 10.8.3 using the Intel 4000 built in graphics.  Worked a treat!
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Dan Wells on April 23, 2013, 05:53:28 pm
I've been reading Tonymac for quite a while, and have chosen highly compatible parts - there are several Hackintoshes VERY closely related to what I'm doing that are already running very well. This is going to be a powerful machine, easily equivalent to a midrange 2013 Mac Pro (if such a thing were to exist), and faster than any present Mac Pro except for the fastest version of the 12-core. The final decision is whether to throw in a $100 graphics card (it has no motherboard graphics, because it's an X79/ i3930k 6-core), or install a powerful card - obviously, I wouldn't skimp on the GPU in a machine of this price and power if there was a real benefit to be had by going higher-end, but I'm not sure that there is any real benefit for a pure photo/video machine (I am a landscape photographer and photography professor, and I may very well start doing some video work - I've had some ideas about the moving image in the landscape - but I have no interest in gaming beyond the occasional round of Angry Birds while riding the bus to work, and I can't see myself doing 3D or CAD, either).

In case anybody's interested, I've posted a description of the proposed machine below (all parts from Tonymac, and there are machines configured almost exactly this way in highly successful builds - one of them is what they call a Golden Build, which is the most stable group of computers people have put together). This will run Mountain Lion (either 10.8.3 or 10.8.4 if that's out by the time this sees the light of day).

CPU: Intel 3930k. To go any faster than this $600 CPU requires either a $1000 chip (and it's only 5% faster) or dual $1500+ chips for a speedup of only 15-20%. It's just not worth it. On the other hand, photographic applications DO tend to be multithreaded, and this 6-core CPU is quite a bit faster than the i7-3770 in the fastest iMac (plus these 6 core Socket 2011 parts support 64 GB of RAM). I'll overclock the CPU modestly (I'm thinking 4.2 gHz, which is easy on this chip and motherboard, and still runs cool and relatively energy-efficiently), while emphasizing stability over a huge overclock.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme. This has a reputation as the most stable Socket 2011 board around,largely due to extremely high quality power regulation. Some Socket 2011 boards, including the Gigabyte that is the other popular board on Tonymac, have 8 RAM slots, but aren't always totally stable with RAM in all 8 slots - this one will run all day with 64 GB!

RAM: Either 32 or 64 GB of DDR3 1600 mHz RAM. I would start with 32 GB, then go to 64 only if necessary, except that there are several articles saying that the most stable way to get to 64 GB is with all the RAM purchased in a single set of 8 DIMMs, and I'd hate to throw out 32 GB of perfectly good RAM in a year or two...

CPU cooling: Closed-loop water cooling (probably a Corsair H100i, or maybe a Swiftech). A nice compromise between noisy air cooling and the complexity of open loop water...

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 - look at the disk configuration, and that's why the big case with a million drive bays...

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum (final wattage to be determined once the graphics card is chosen). The Seasonic Platinum series are the best, most stable, most efficient power supplies on the consumer market. To do better would mean a MUCH more expensive server or lab instrument power supply.

Boot disk: Samsung 840 Pro SSD (512 GB). Fast and reliable. There will also be a boot disk clone on a commodity hard disk, just in case some update messes the system up - important on any machine, but especially a Hackintosh...

Primary storage: 8 Western Digital Caviar Red 3 TB drives in RAID 6, driven off a RocketRAID 2720SGL. About 16 terabytes of usable space after formatting and RAID! Not cheap, but a lot less expensive than this kind of storage would have been until recently.


All in all, this aims to be the Mac Pro Apple should be making - fast, reliable and capacious storage... They used to make 'em like this, but then started getting so obsessed with iToys that they forgot to make Macs for the people who kept them going in their darkest days - photographers and filmmakers who stayed loyal to the Mac when EVERYONE used PCs...
   

                     -Dan
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Craig Lamson on April 23, 2013, 08:23:06 pm
I've been reading Tonymac for quite a while, and have chosen highly compatible parts - there are several Hackintoshes VERY closely related to what I'm doing that are already running very well. This is going to be a powerful machine, easily equivalent to a midrange 2013 Mac Pro (if such a thing were to exist), and faster than any present Mac Pro except for the fastest version of the 12-core. The final decision is whether to throw in a $100 graphics card (it has no motherboard graphics, because it's an X79/ i3930k 6-core), or install a powerful card - obviously, I wouldn't skimp on the GPU in a machine of this price and power if there was a real benefit to be had by going higher-end, but I'm not sure that there is any real benefit for a pure photo/video machine (I am a landscape photographer and photography professor, and I may very well start doing some video work - I've had some ideas about the moving image in the landscape - but I have no interest in gaming beyond the occasional round of Angry Birds while riding the bus to work, and I can't see myself doing 3D or CAD, either).

In case anybody's interested, I've posted a description of the proposed machine below (all parts from Tonymac, and there are machines configured almost exactly this way in highly successful builds - one of them is what they call a Golden Build, which is the most stable group of computers people have put together). This will run Mountain Lion (either 10.8.3 or 10.8.4 if that's out by the time this sees the light of day).

CPU: Intel 3930k. To go any faster than this $600 CPU requires either a $1000 chip (and it's only 5% faster) or dual $1500+ chips for a speedup of only 15-20%. It's just not worth it. On the other hand, photographic applications DO tend to be multithreaded, and this 6-core CPU is quite a bit faster than the i7-3770 in the fastest iMac (plus these 6 core Socket 2011 parts support 64 GB of RAM). I'll overclock the CPU modestly (I'm thinking 4.2 gHz, which is easy on this chip and motherboard, and still runs cool and relatively energy-efficiently), while emphasizing stability over a huge overclock.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme. This has a reputation as the most stable Socket 2011 board around,largely due to extremely high quality power regulation. Some Socket 2011 boards, including the Gigabyte that is the other popular board on Tonymac, have 8 RAM slots, but aren't always totally stable with RAM in all 8 slots - this one will run all day with 64 GB!

RAM: Either 32 or 64 GB of DDR3 1600 mHz RAM. I would start with 32 GB, then go to 64 only if necessary, except that there are several articles saying that the most stable way to get to 64 GB is with all the RAM purchased in a single set of 8 DIMMs, and I'd hate to throw out 32 GB of perfectly good RAM in a year or two...

CPU cooling: Closed-loop water cooling (probably a Corsair H100i, or maybe a Swiftech). A nice compromise between noisy air cooling and the complexity of open loop water...

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 - look at the disk configuration, and that's why the big case with a million drive bays...

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum (final wattage to be determined once the graphics card is chosen). The Seasonic Platinum series are the best, most stable, most efficient power supplies on the consumer market. To do better would mean a MUCH more expensive server or lab instrument power supply.

Boot disk: Samsung 840 Pro SSD (512 GB). Fast and reliable. There will also be a boot disk clone on a commodity hard disk, just in case some update messes the system up - important on any machine, but especially a Hackintosh...

Primary storage: 8 Western Digital Caviar Red 3 TB drives in RAID 6, driven off a RocketRAID 2720SGL. About 16 terabytes of usable space after formatting and RAID! Not cheap, but a lot less expensive than this kind of storage would have been until recently.


All in all, this aims to be the Mac Pro Apple should be making - fast, reliable and capacious storage... They used to make 'em like this, but then started getting so obsessed with iToys that they forgot to make Macs for the people who kept them going in their darkest days - photographers and filmmakers who stayed loyal to the Mac when EVERYONE used PCs...
   

                     -Dan


Sounds like a very nice machine. I went z77x instead.  Mostly because of some issues with the x79 builds.  It has been strong a stable and was a startup from the first boot with zero problems. 

Best of luck.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Dan Wells on April 23, 2013, 10:43:30 pm
I just discovered a VERY interesting difference from a photographer's standpoint between AMD and NVidia GPUs. All NVidia GPUs (except the Titan, which WILL drive a 4k display, but also costs $1000), are locked to no more than a present-day 30" display (2560x1600) over any single output. To drive a 4k display, or anything else with shockingly high resolution (Apple Retina Cinema Display?), you need to combine two or more outputs (probably the two DVI ports, because they are the only two similar ports). This hack works, but also causes the operating system to treat the single display as two displays - menu bars won't work right, you can't maximize a window except by dragging, etc... This doesn't matter in games, because the game takes over the display fully, or in full-screen video playback (again, the display is taken over and out of the hands of the operating system), but it DOES matter for high resolution Photoshop!!!! The most practical to run Photoshop above 2560x1600 on a NVidia card  is to use two monitors and have the high resolution one as a dedicated image-only secondary display with the menus and palettes on a lower-resolution screen that the OS recognizes as a single monitor - the cards DO have three outputs (actually four, but they're an odd combination), so it's possible.
       There are two setups where this becomes problematical - most obviously, any attempt to do photo editing with a single very high resolution display will be a problem - menus and such will display oddly (someone tried it, and it IS usable, but barely). Secondly, it's a problem for anyone who uses a Cintiq with a high-resolution display. The menu bar ends up on the Cintiq, which could very well not be where you want it, especially in the case of the smaller Cintiqs that are really meant as auxiliary displays showing a zoomed portion of the image. It takes an odd combination of cables indeed to get FOUR connections into a single card (Cintiq, palette monitor and a high-res screen using two connectors)not to mention the desktop clutter! A standard GeForce has 2 DVI ports, one DisplayPort and one HDMI. The high-res screen uses both DVI ports, so the palette monitor can't be DVI (neither can the Cintiq), and it HAS to be whatever the Cintiq isn't! A bit tricky, to say the least!
     AMD, on the other hand, runs 4000+x3000+ off DisplayPort or HDMI on any card above their $150 Radeon 7770. It's possible that the capability exists even lower in their line - I didn't check, because I wouldn't want to use a $100 video card on a 4k display anyway! DVI can't go above 2560x1600, but that is DVI, not the card...

                                           -Dan

Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Tom Montgomery on April 24, 2013, 08:26:36 pm
If you're planning to use Photoshop, then the GPU becomes more important, as Adobe is moving more scrolling, zooming and filter processing over to the GPU with each release.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 25, 2013, 02:19:42 am
That's even more true for if you ever venture into motion.

The Apple App store would not even let me install Final Cut Pro X 10.02 on my Mac Pro until I replaces the original ATI X1900 by a 5770...

In my view, the importance of components perfo is becoming:
1. Amount of memory
2. SSD
3. GPU
4. CPU

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: francois on April 25, 2013, 02:45:04 am
…In my view, the importance of components perfo is becoming:
1. Amount of memory
2. SSD
3. GPU
4. CPU

Cheers,
Bernard


I agree with that. GPU is useful but only if RAM and storage are already top notch.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Sheldon N on April 25, 2013, 10:33:43 am
My personal experience running Lightroom on a Windows machine and using a 30" monitor is that a more powerful GPU reduces the lag when you make adjustments with the sliders.  But screen refresh lag of that kind is not a problem if you are using a smaller monitor (or zooming the image smaller when you edit on the large monitor).

My experience has been exactly the opposite, testing multiple video cards back to back on a Windows machine (cards were significantly different), there was no difference in screen refresh/lag on a large monitor. Looking at resource monitors in conjunction with this confirms that Lightroom doesn't even use the GPU. The lag/refresh from moving sliders is because of the CPU load from having to recalculate the image from the RAW file, so your video card should not have a noticeable effect.

In my view, the importance of components perfo is becoming:
1. Amount of memory
2. SSD
3. GPU
4. CPU

Possibly for video editing, but if you are looking at just Photoshop/Lightroom the speed of your CPU is *much* more important than the video card.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: bill t. on May 14, 2013, 11:01:50 pm
There are some third party, computation intensive programs like PhotoZoom5 and Resize 7.5 that make intensive use of GPU's to very good advantage.  Both those versions run about 5 to 10 times faster with a GPU present. As better GPU programming interfaces are evolving along with programmers who know how to exploit them, I think we will see a lot more GPU use in the coming years.  Right now Adobe Premiere is optimized for high end Nvidia chips, and the difference in performance between software-only and GPU systems is night and day.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: dreed on May 15, 2013, 09:53:51 am
Possibly for video editing, but if you are looking at just Photoshop/Lightroom the speed of your CPU is *much* more important than the video card.

Yup. There have been many threads on this topic in the Lightroom forum on this website and time and again, Schewe or someone else points out that LR doesn't use the GPU and probably won't ever.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 15, 2013, 10:03:33 am
There are some third party, computation intensive programs like PhotoZoom5 and Resize 7.5 that make intensive use of GPU's to very good advantage.  Both those versions run about 5 to 10 times faster with a GPU present. As better GPU programming interfaces are evolving along with programmers who know how to exploit them, I think we will see a lot more GPU use in the coming years.

I agree with Bill. Because some current applications do not utilize the potential, doesn't mean that there are no great speed benefits to be had. Both the speed of complex real time updating previews, which is great for creative interaction with controls, as well as final rendering, can benefit tremendously.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Schewe on May 15, 2013, 09:31:35 pm
...Schewe or someone else points out that LR doesn't use the GPU and probably won't ever.

Well, I said Lightroom doesn't (and LR5 doesn't) but I never said never!
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on May 16, 2013, 03:56:25 pm
Well, I said Lightroom doesn't (and LR5 doesn't) but I never said never!
Well it does use it passively at any rate if your monitor is plugged into the video card with the GPU. ;D
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: madmanchan on May 16, 2013, 07:58:17 pm
Yes, the card is essential if you want to see something on your screen.   ;)  But as Jeff said, Lr doesn't yet use the GPU for rendering acceleration.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Schewe on May 16, 2013, 09:44:51 pm
But as Jeff said, Lr doesn't yet use the GPU for rendering acceleration.

Notice Eric said "yet"...which is why I never said ACR/LR would never use GPU. It's just that it's a tough problem to solve cross platform and it takes special code to put the processing on to the GPU instead of the main cpu. It's been a problem for Photoshop ever since GPU was put in and it's only now getting useful in certain functions. Capture One also added GPU but using it tend to make C1 a lot less stable...so, it's an evolving situation. I have hope that GPU could be used to make ACR/LR a bit faster (or a lot faster). So, hopefully, the elves on ACR/LR are working on it!
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: bill t. on May 17, 2013, 05:00:07 am
This highly visual program (http://www.youtube.com/user/WWWDAZ3DCOM) has exploited GPU's for almost a decade.  Shows you what's possible without getting bogged down in what's desirable.  Way cheaper than an IQ180, or even a D800e.  You may never go back to photography.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Schewe on May 17, 2013, 05:23:13 am
Shows you what's possible without getting bogged down in what's desirable. 

There's a fundamental reason why GPU for 3D is a totally different story than using GPU for dedicated image processing routines that takes over from the cpu. Routines sent to GPU must be optimized for specific and special image processing–which may be different than cpu processing. Which means stuff has to be written to run on GPU...that's the problem. GPUs were designed to run image processing routines, they were designed for 3D and gaming...
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Rhossydd on May 17, 2013, 08:11:30 am
GPUs ... they were designed for 3D and gaming...
Adobe have been using GPU acceleration VERY effectively in Premiere Pro since version 5 (2010), that's only a 2D application.
Maybe the different departments need to exchange some ideas ?
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on May 20, 2013, 08:55:03 pm
Yes, the card is essential if you want to see something on your screen.   ;)  But as Jeff said, Lr doesn't yet use the GPU for rendering acceleration.
Hmmmm, since I mainly use LR I could have saved myself a cool $170 by sticking with Intel Ivy Bridge graphics and left the NIVIDIA GeForce card back at the cash register! :D
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Bill Koenig on May 30, 2013, 04:41:33 pm
So the question is, do I go with a currant (PCIe 3.0) mid range GPU now, which PhotoShop can take advantage of, but Lightroom currently can't, but possibly might down the road, and spend $450. Or go with something for $100, and wait?
I'm planing a build using the same X79/ i3930k 6-core package, 32 gigs of DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 quad channel ram.
The card I'm looking at is a AMD FirePro W5000.


AMD FirePro™ W5000 supports DisplayPort 1.2 with a max resolution of 4096x2160, can drive three displays at once, features 2GB GDDR5 memory, a 256-bit memory interface and 102.3 GB/s memory bandwidth.

BTW, for what's it's worth, it does 10 bit color, and I have a NEC PA271W
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Steve House on May 30, 2013, 11:32:21 pm
So the question is, do I go with a currant (PCIe 3.0) mid range GPU now, which PhotoShop can take advantage of, but Lightroom currently can't, but possibly might down the road, and spend $450. Or go with something for $100, and wait?
I'm planing a build using the same X79/ i3930k 6-core package, 32 gigs of DD3 1600 quad channel ram.
The card I'm looking at is a AMD FirePro W5000....BTW, for what's it's worth, it does 10 bit color, and I have a NEC PA271W
Looking at a very similar build but going with an nVidia card because I want to get good performance with video editing in Premiere as well as LR and PS and Premiere doesn't play as nice with AMD video cards.  Just pulled the trigger tonight on a new Dell U2713h wide-gamut monitor.  Still trying to decide between nVidia GTX 680, Titan, or Quadro k5000 ... most likely going with the 680.  Couple of SSDs for OS, apps, and scratch/cache files anda couple of terabytes conventional drives for data storage.  Now trying to decide on a case, power supply, and cooling options as audio recording and editing is also a priority and so as near silent operation as possible is a must.  What are your thoughts on that?
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Bill Koenig on May 31, 2013, 11:44:05 am
Looking at a very similar build but going with an nVidia card because I want to get good performance with video editing in Premiere as well as LR and PS and Premiere doesn't play as nice with AMD video cards.  Just pulled the trigger tonight on a new Dell U2713h wide-gamut monitor.  Still trying to decide between nVidia GTX 680, Titan, or Quadro k5000 ... most likely going with the 680.  Couple of SSDs for OS, apps, and scratch/cache files anda couple of terabytes conventional drives for data storage.  Now trying to decide on a case, power supply, and cooling options as audio recording and editing is also a priority and so as near silent operation as possible is a must.  What are your thoughts on that?

Yes, for video editing with Premiere, nVidia is the way to go, and I don't think you can go wrong with the GTX 680.

As for power supply, something from Seasonic, with the 680 I would go with at least 750 watts.

With a X79 MB I would go with a Full Tower case. I've looked at the following cases, but I'm still on the fence as to which one.


Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition, THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 (RC-932-KKN5-GP)

The  Core i7 3930 doesn't come with a heat sink, if you want something silent, go with liquid cooling, $100 will get you something good, and will easily fit inside one of the case's listed above.





Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: brandtb on June 01, 2013, 06:30:36 am
Quote
Looking at a very similar build but going with an nVidia card because I want to get good performance with video editing in Premiere as well as LR and PS

Passing along some partial specs from a new post workstation Colin Rich is building (cine/still photographer - some work at end link for reference)

Win7-64/Pro - 6 core 3.8ghz i7 1 terabyte of solid state for footy, 256 for system, 64gigs of sd3@ 1800, 6 tb of dump space for past present and future footy. 2 dell 27" ultrasharps, GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4GB 256-bit. (btw Colin a long time post-workflow Mac user, "closing the door on Mac" as he put it, "not going to pay the Apple tax anymore")

http://vimeo.com/47224216 (http://vimeo.com/47224216)
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on June 02, 2013, 09:44:30 am
(btw Colin a long time post-workflow Mac user, "closing the door on Mac" as he put it, "not going to pay the Apple tax anymore")
Funniest statement that I've read read this week!!! ;D
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: hjulenissen on June 02, 2013, 09:58:19 am
There's a fundamental reason why GPU for 3D is a totally different story than using GPU for dedicated image processing routines that takes over from the cpu. Routines sent to GPU must be optimized for specific and special image processing–which may be different than cpu processing. Which means stuff has to be written to run on GPU...that's the problem. GPUs were designed to run image processing routines, they were designed for 3D and gaming...
GPUs have no doubt been hyped as Nvidia (and ATI/AMD) see that the space for dedicated PC graphics is slowly being decimated by "good enough" integrated graphics, and the old core GPU enthusiasts (gamers) may have been slowly drifting to consoles and phones/tablets (in the latter, other GPU vendors seems to own the market).

I do think that there is considerable overlap between what is needed in an image processing intensive app vs what is offered by modern GPUs hardware-wise. It makes sense that "Photoshop for iPad 8" would use GPU resources to improve IQ, reduce latency and improve battery life. But then you are writing a single app for known hardware. Writing for ever-changing and fragmented PC systems is something different. It may be hard to do a gradual transition as this would mean dumping data to/from GPU multiple times. I don't know the complexity of something like the Photoshop image pipeline, but I imagine that it would be significant. Porting something like that to CUDA/OpenCL, debugging it, taking care of minor appearance differences for a large list of GPU models and driver revisions sounds like a lot of pain to me.

So perhaps the solution is to let the image processing experts and low-level coding gurus do their thing on multi-core Intel hardware instead, opting for more features/IQ per dollar, and advice customers to upgrade their x86 cpu more often and to more expensive models.

-h
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: george2787 on June 02, 2013, 08:00:24 pm
I don't know about anything too techie, but read earlier this week that Nvidia has announced the 7XX family with a little more power at aprox the same price... if I recall correctly the new 770 was sightly faster than the current 680 at a lower price and power consumption, and the 780 was 10-15% faster at about same price.

May be worth to look for the info and maybe wait until they hit the stores or maybe get a discount on the current 6xx being discontinued :)
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on June 04, 2013, 03:18:39 pm
Of bigger importance are the new Haswell processors from Intel which have much improved graphics on the CPU.  I've just briefly scanned some reviews and have seen a PS benchmark being used to assess them.  If the graphics are indeed up to snuff NVIDIA stands to lose users.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: StephaneB on June 09, 2013, 04:35:02 pm
I find the Nik plugins barely usable without a good GPU. The real-time refresh when one moves the sliders is offloaded to the GPU. Without a GPU, the refresh is glacially slow.
Title: Re: Does the GPU really matter for photography?
Post by: Alistair on June 09, 2013, 11:17:43 pm
(btw Colin a long time post-workflow Mac user, "closing the door on Mac" as he put it, "not going to pay the Apple tax anymore")

http://vimeo.com/47224216 (http://vimeo.com/47224216)

I am running Win 8 on my latest build and am very happy with it - it does the job extremely well.

I use mainly LR with a bit of CS5 on the side. Only PS CS6 makes material use of GPU so I am running only a low end GPU card and it is fine. I use a 4 core i7-3820 at 3.6Ghz on an X79 board with 32Gb of 1600 quad channel memory. I was prepared to upgrade the chip to a 6 core but I hardly ever see more than 50% so I feel going beyond the 3820 may not be money well spent. Spend the money on fast I/O as that is what kills LR. However LR never seems to need more than 16Gb memory but PS is a hog so I will put another 32Gb in at some stage as I frequently use 4-5Gb stitched image files.  I use closed circuit cooling and never see more than 40 C and that is only after a lot of preview renderings. If you are using a big GPU then you need a big PS. Otherwise a good quality 600-650 is fine.

That's what works for me anyway.