Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: PeterAit on April 12, 2013, 09:16:27 am

Title: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: PeterAit on April 12, 2013, 09:16:27 am
I have not been able to find any reviews or other information that would lead me to choose between the Sigma f/1.4 and the equivalent Nikon lens (for use on a D600). The substantial price difference makes the Sigma attractive (even though the Nikon is 2 oz lighter), but I would love to hear from anyone with actual experience.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: kers on April 12, 2013, 09:25:57 am
www.photozone.de

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/388/(brand)/Nikkor/(camera1)/485/(lens2)/362/(brand2)/Sigma/(camera2)/485/(lens3)/823/(brand3)/Nikkor/(camera3)/485

main difference i read  is that the sigma is less sharp in the corners; I have the nikkor 1,4g on a d800e-  ( no experience with the sigma)

very even sharpness from 1,4 ( wall at 20m)- good at 1,4 perfect at d2- stellar at d4-8. very beautiful bokeh. small weak point- lateral colorshift at d1,4- gone at 2,8 ( but they all have)
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: MarkL on April 12, 2013, 11:59:20 am
Photozone's test is rather flawed and doesn't match irl impressions of the lens. Try:

http://www.lenstip.com/264.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_85_mm_f_1.4G_Image_resolution.html
http://www.lenstip.com/277.4-Lens_review-Sigma_85_mm_f_1.4_EX_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html

I tested both and kept the sigma. The nikon trades centre performance for corner performance near wide open, by f/4 they are indistinguishable and in most other areas very similar. Very glad sigma is starting to meet or exceeding nikon's primes at sensible prices.

If weight is a concern and you can live with 2/3rd of a stop less definitely look at the nikon 1.8 af-s which is half the price and just as good.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: jwstl on April 12, 2013, 01:07:27 pm
If weight is a concern and you can live with 2/3rd of a stop less definitely look at the nikon 1.8 af-s which is half the price and just as good.

I went with the Nikon 85 1.8 for it's combination of outstanding optics, small size, low weight, and lower price.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: RFPhotography on April 12, 2013, 02:20:12 pm
If you're not concerned about AF, the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 might do the trick.  Small, compact, reasonably priced.  It can also be had with a chip for focus confirmation, auto-metering and auto-aperture.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: joneil on April 12, 2013, 03:20:17 pm
  Also if you are not concerned about AF, I love my Zeiss 85mm.  I frankly don't know if it is sharper, softer or whatever compared to other 85s, nor do I buy into the "mystical quality" of Zeiss lenses that some people seem to attribute to them.  All i know is I love my images with that lens, it is built like a tank, easy to use, and it has never let me down.

   Samyang (and the various names they are sold under) are optically excellent, but mechanically not as tough as the Zeiss.   As long as you know that, try one of them out if you can. 
good luck
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: Quentin on April 12, 2013, 05:42:45 pm
I use the Sigma 85 F/1.4 on a D800E and it is an excellent lens.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: Telecaster on April 12, 2013, 05:56:39 pm
I second the G version of the Nikon f/1.4, especially if you have older Nikon film cameras (the new AF-S version of the lens has no manual aperture control) you still like to use. I've sold off most of my Nikon AF gear (weight, bulk, nerve compression issues) but I've still got my old FTn that I will never part with. The 85mm G works great with it.   :D

-Dave-
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 12, 2013, 05:59:54 pm
I am personnally a big fan of the nikkor 85f1.4 AF-S. Amazing rendering accross the board.

I find it to be the best at f1.4 but it is also an amazing performer stopped down, a great lens for stitching also.

My only reservation is that its veil flare behaviour is average.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: RFPhotography on April 12, 2013, 07:15:57 pm
 
   Samyang (and the various names they are sold under) are optically excellent, but mechanically not as tough as the Zeiss.   As long as you know that, try one of them out if you can. 
good luck


I've got the 85 f/1.4 and it's very solidly built.  It may not be as solid as a Zeiss, but it's really quite good. 
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: indusphoto on April 17, 2013, 05:23:41 pm
I have had Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and Nikon f/1.8 G. The order I had them was

First Nikon f/1.8G - Not satisfied
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Not satisfied with the center sharpness wide open. Could be a sample issue.
Second Nikon 85mm 1.8G - Pretty good for any price. It is sharp wide open and has nice bokeh.

On photo.net Nikon forums they has a few threads comparing the bokeh of both Nikon G lenses. Both are very close.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: Chairman Bill on April 17, 2013, 05:46:19 pm
Can I suggest you give the Nikon 85mm f1.8 a try. Mine's the bog-standard AF (not a D or G or S) & it's a beaut.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: JohnBrew on April 17, 2013, 08:56:55 pm
I am personnally a big fan of the nikkor 85f1.4 AF-S. Amazing rendering accross the board.

I find it to be the best at f1.4 but it is also an amazing performer stopped down, a great lens for stitching also.

My only reservation is that its veil flare behaviour is average.

Cheers,
Bernard


I couldn't have said it better myself. I concur with all assessments by Bernard.
Title: Re: 85mm prime - which one?
Post by: hasselbladfan on April 18, 2013, 01:21:07 pm
If it can be a little closer, the Zeiss 100 F2 Macro is great.