Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: amolitor on April 10, 2013, 10:24:18 am

Title: Phlox?
Post by: amolitor on April 10, 2013, 10:24:18 am
These are either phlox flowers, or some similar looking little jobbers.

Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: Bruce Cox on April 10, 2013, 12:48:13 pm
I like it, but I think you could do more with the paper.
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 10, 2013, 02:17:19 pm
These are either phlox flowers, or some similar looking little jobbers.

Nice. It looks upside down to me, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 10, 2013, 10:24:06 pm
It looks upside down to me, though.

Yes. Odd...
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: David Eckels on April 11, 2013, 06:21:02 am
Nice. It looks upside down to me, though.

Jeremy
That's the way Plox grows. Reminds me of some of Harold Davis' shots.
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: amolitor on April 11, 2013, 02:32:15 pm
Bruce, I really like your idea, but I can't quite see where to follow it. Yet.

Thanks everyone for the insights and comments. I have realized that I had various conflicting elements, the lighting and the orientation of the flowers conflicted with my notion of "falling". I reshot this morning, and this was the result.

Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 11, 2013, 03:54:19 pm
I like this version best.
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: David Eckels on April 11, 2013, 06:31:21 pm
I reshot this morning, and this was the result.
Phlox doesn't grow that way ;)
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: Bruce Cox on April 12, 2013, 08:36:09 am
Bruce, I really like your idea, but I can't quite see where to follow it. Yet.

Thanks everyone for the insights and comments. I have realized that I had various conflicting elements, the lighting and the orientation of the flowers conflicted with my notion of "falling". I reshot this morning, and this was the result.



I was exaggerating to make a point.  By cleverly minimizing the shadows of the flowers you allowed a small increase in contrast on the paper to be more effective.

Bruce
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 16, 2013, 05:51:01 pm
The original version is best IMO and really I like the high key almost medically sterile look you have created. Very arty and lyrical and far removed from your earlier work - do I detect a softening and more contemplative aspect is creeping into your work?

You know Andrew, that image would make an amazing front cover to a book, a book of poems perhaps.

Yes it certainly works for me  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: RSL on April 16, 2013, 05:59:19 pm
It's taken me a while to get there, but I agree with Dave.

Phlox doesn't grow that way ;)

And, David, I'm not sure what you mean. Here's a field of phlox growing.
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: amolitor on April 16, 2013, 06:14:33 pm
Phlox is a funny thing. According to wikipedia, there are 67 species of the stuff ;) I know of two general shapes and sizes -- the flowers look the same, the plants look completely different.

I assume there's some sort of viney/drooping phlox, that I am unfamiliar with?
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: amolitor on April 16, 2013, 06:39:36 pm
Thank you, Dave!

As for my work, such as it is, I am a dilettante, and always poking around experimenting with new looks and ideas. I've got a little project under way which might actually result in more than a couple of experiments. Maybe. Normally I'm not much of a flower guy, but I'm finding some ideas that I like with 'em lately.
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2013, 07:15:44 pm
Phlox is a funny thing. According to wikipedia, there are 67 species of the stuff ;) I know of two general shapes and sizes -- the flowers look the same, the plants look completely different.

I assume there's some sort of viney/drooping phlox, that I am unfamiliar with?

Sorry, the phlox we have growing in our garden droops nicely, cascading over the rocks. I could be delusional however ;)
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: amolitor on April 16, 2013, 09:08:30 pm
I figured! I meant to comment earlier on that point, but since I could visualize what your phlox was doing so clearly (after all, it looks just like my picture!) it didn't seem very important to clear up biological details ;)
Title: Re: Phlox?
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2013, 10:18:31 pm
I figured! I meant to comment earlier on that point, but since I could visualize what your phlox was doing so clearly (after all, it looks just like my picture!) it didn't seem very important to clear up biological details ;)
LMAO