Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Harald L on April 09, 2013, 04:12:09 pm

Title: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Harald L on April 09, 2013, 04:12:09 pm
For more than 40 years I'm hiking through the alps. I've seen there myriads of cows but I can't remember any cow sitting like this one. This moo really made our day and we were not surprised if it would start barking. Ever seen this?

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8398/8635844362_56cf23304a_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Tony Jay on April 09, 2013, 04:18:28 pm
Fabulous!
I needed a bit of perking up.
Just the ticket.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Chairman Bill on April 09, 2013, 05:03:53 pm
I was in the Tyrol one year as they brought the cows down from the hills, huge bells around their necks. On a positive note, the birds don't get eaten by cows.
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 09, 2013, 06:37:55 pm
That's a real chuckle.
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: nemo295 on April 09, 2013, 06:47:40 pm
That's a new one on me. I live in the middle of ranch country and I've never ever seen a sitting cow.
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: francois on April 10, 2013, 06:31:29 am
Fantastic and unique!
I've also seen hundreds or thousands cows in the Alps but a sitting cow… never!
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Ken Bennett on April 10, 2013, 08:21:57 am
I thought this was sort of odd, too, but a quick Google image search for "sitting cow" returns a lot of photos. But of course it's a tiny fraction of all the cow photos in existence.... :)

Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Harald L on April 10, 2013, 01:16:37 pm
Perhaps female reincarnations of Sitting Bull.
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: LoisWakeman on April 30, 2013, 06:45:53 am
I can't remember any cow sitting like this one. This moo really made our day and we were not surprised if it would start barking. Ever seen this?
No - it is *very* unusual. Cattle, being forest creatures in the wild, normally get up hind quarters first to see under the branches in case of surprise attack by predators. Conversely, horses being steppe dwellers in origin get up forequarters first to see over the grass. I have often seen ponies sitting like this preparatory to rising but never cattle.

I enjoyed the photo...
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Rob C on April 30, 2013, 10:30:12 am
I suppose that dogs, far more intelligent than horses or cattle, sit in this manner because it saves energy? It's also safer.

Rob C
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: LoisWakeman on April 30, 2013, 11:11:22 am
My store of useless info does not extend that far, Rob!
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Rob C on April 30, 2013, 04:08:47 pm
My store of useless info does not extend that far, Rob!


Hey, Lois, it's a dangerous world out there!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: mjdl on April 30, 2013, 04:50:48 pm
Really, I think it's quite obvious what is happening here: the cow just knew, just *knew*, that if she played things right, she'd get on the Internet eventually!
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: Rob C on April 30, 2013, 05:58:54 pm
Really, I think it's quite obvious what is happening here: the cow just knew, just *knew*, that if she played things right, she'd get on the Internet eventually!


So much for the theory of dumb animals, then.

I hear that next week she's going to buy a camera - red dots will guide her - and create her own series of non-self self-portraits playing different rôles. So far, she's reputed to have thought about a nurse's uniform; buying a set of non-matching pants and bra; a little suitcase to put by the side of the road. The latter may be abandoned, because roads and animals make for messy compositions. There's even a rumour that Playboy is interested.

No doubt all will be revealed in due course. If she ever bothers to get up off her ass, that is.

Rob C
Title: Re: Beware of the moo!
Post by: RSL on April 30, 2013, 07:34:52 pm
Really, I think it's quite obvious what is happening here: the cow just knew, just *knew*, that if she played things right, she'd get on the Internet eventually!

Why on earth would she want to do that??? She's probably already regretting it.

Great shot, though.