Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on April 04, 2013, 08:53:57 pm

Title: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: David Eckels on April 04, 2013, 08:53:57 pm
Three exposure HDR (-2,0,+2). How'd I do Russ? Slobodan? I can't tell you how tempting it was to bring the shadows out on rock faces on the right! ;) Yes, polarizer.
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 04, 2013, 08:56:27 pm
Looks pretty good to me!

On the other hand, the scene does not look like it needed bracketing :P
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: David Eckels on April 04, 2013, 09:03:19 pm
Looks pretty good to me!

On the other hand, the scene does not look like it needed bracketing :P
You might be right, but I was worried about those shadows and wanted to make sure. Besides, I'd just figured out how to do auto bracketing ;) "Pretty good" from you, Slobodan, is high praise indeed. Thanks.
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 04, 2013, 09:18:50 pm
You could have waited an hour or so until the sun raked the cliff face. :)
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: David Eckels on April 04, 2013, 09:23:29 pm
You could have waited an hour or so until the sun raked the cliff face. :)
Yeah, but then everyone in my vehicle would have been pissed at me ;)
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 04, 2013, 09:26:04 pm
:)
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 04, 2013, 09:59:49 pm
Yeah, but then everyone in my vehicle would have been pissed at me ;)

Reminds me of: "Daaaad!?... how many times you need to snap that damn Parisian bridge at sunset... I am bored!"

As every landscape photographer knows, the window of opportunity around sunset is rather short, plus/minus half an hour. And that is precisely the time my family is hungry, thirsty, tired, bored, etc.

I often share the story surrounding my Bass Harbor Lighthouse picture that ultimately ended up as a magazine cover. As some of you know, it is located about 4-5 miles from the nearest "civilization." I ultimately ended up driving my thirsty wife and kid back to the village, finding a restaurant for them, and driving back. Missed the sunset, but caught the twilight. My wife's excuse: "Sorry, did not know it will end up as a cover." ;D

That is why I love sunrises... family is soundly sleeping. Though, come to think of it, I would rather stay in bed too :(
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: David Eckels on April 04, 2013, 10:32:57 pm
That is why I love sunrises... family is soundly sleeping. Though, come to think of it, I would rather stay in bed too :(
+1! All too true! We do the best we can!
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: RSL on April 05, 2013, 06:03:41 am
Very nice, David. Looks as if you covered the whole range without making the HDR obvious. Looks like a well exposed, well framed photograph.
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: Harald L on April 05, 2013, 06:34:12 am
Reminds me of: "Daaaad!?... how many times you need to snap that damn Parisian bridge at sunset... I am bored! ...

Thank you very much for this comment. I will print and laminate it and show it to my family when appropriate. It remembers me on a trip thru NZ by a Motorhome - sometimes I've got the feeling that the mood changed rapidly against me. ;D
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: francois on April 05, 2013, 07:18:36 am
Very nice, David. Looks as if you covered the whole range without making the HDR obvious. Looks like a well exposed, well framed photograph.

I agree, the image is very natural, without the usual HDR look.
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: David Eckels on April 05, 2013, 07:58:40 am
Thanks, teachers, for the feedback! I tend to have a heavy hand and the critiques have been very, very helpful to me.
Title: Re: Wall Street, Moab Utah
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 05, 2013, 09:47:18 am
It's very good and not at all obviously HDR. I think you could have opened up the shadows on the right a little, perhaps, without making the scene look unrealistic.

Jeremy