Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Enda Cavanagh on April 04, 2013, 06:30:47 pm
-
I'm getting a new nice and awkwardly shaped Arca Swiss RL3Di camera. I'll have 4 lenses, the e module ,viewfinder, Hasselblad H3D, 55-110mm lens. I'll have a couple of 5 x 4 inch film holders plus other bits and pieces.
Has anyone suggestions for a good ruck sack type of bag suitable for that type of kit. Ideally also to take a decent sized tripod. I guess it needs to be quite deep if the RL3Di fit's into so that it's not flat. I also don't want it be the size of a house :D
-
I have my lenses in a Think Tank belt system and my camera in its own insert. I put that in an Osprey Farpoint 40.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/backpacking/farpoint_40
The strap and belt are far more comfortable than what are on photo back packs. It also lets me put other things in the bag I need. The bag is a panel loader and so it opens up and because it is for travel and airline travel, it is rather square which is good for photo gear--it packs more efficiently than the rounded climbing packs.
I might suggest going down to a local climbing/hiking store and seeing what kind of packs they have. There are plenty of cheap inserts available on the internet and you probably have small bags that would work as inserts.
Basically, when I work, the lens belt comes out and so does the camera and I carry the empty pack. Most photo pack waste a great deal of space with the padded divider system.
-
Enda:
If you are looking for a backback style bag, I would look at the F-Stop line. Based on the load you want to carry I would consider the Satori EXP.
http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/satori-exp (http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/satori-exp)
I carry a rm3di, the smaller camera than the L, but I carry it flat with the digital back and one lens mounted. I carry 3 to 4 lenses depending on the day and length of hike. The bag will hold a full sized tripod on the side or front, however you want to carry it. F-stop has a different setup than most and take a bit of getting used to, however they have very well made gear. I get all of the Arca gear in the Large ICU. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Paul Caldwell
-
Paul, can't you and Edna discuss the f-stop bags in the thread rather than off-line. That way we can all benefit from the conversation.
-
Paul.
Funny. I was just looking at that bag and was leaning toward it. The RL3di is a good bit bigger. Don't quote me but its' something like 29 c 33cm. So if I put that flat in the main camera bag it would eat up the space but looked at the video and it mentioned it has a padded space for a large laptop. Looking at your camera bag do you think a camera based on the dimensions of my camera would it slide in there (without the back of course)
Another thing that I'd be a bit worried about is if I want to fix a large tripod it will be to the side rather than on the back. Would that put me off balance when hiking
-
Enda
I am away from my bag till tomorrow but will post a few shots with the Arca and lenses installed. I believe your L will fit fine. F-stop allows for easy transformations with their soft partitions. The Arca has to lay flat or its overall height will not allow closure. Lowe makes a pack that will allow the rm3di to stand up but the pack is about 8 lbs before you put any gear in it.
It's easier to mount the tripod to the side but with some extra straps you could mount it to the back.
Paul Caldwell
-
F-Stop
Kata
Clik Elite
Take your pick. They're all great camera (backpack style) bags.
-
http://www.f64camerabag.com/backpacks.html
These people design some bags for the large format photographer. (I haven't seen the bags.)
-
http://www.f64camerabag.com/backpacks.html
These people design some bags for the large format photographer. (I haven't seen the bags.)
great link!
Thank you.
Dave
-
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The F-stop Satori seems like the way to go for me.
-
I bought an fstop bag a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. I returned it. I found the ICUs awkward to access and too shallow. However, I see now that they have added some deeper ICUs. The Satori EXP looks truly gargantuan, but it is hard to find physical dimensions on their website. I must admit fstop might work fine for your needs.
-
A donkey (not domke) and some saddle bags. Not good for flying though.
Brian
-
A mule for the donkey :D
A donkey (not domke) and some saddle bags. Not good for flying though.
Brian