Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: texshooter on April 04, 2013, 02:29:55 am

Title: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: texshooter on April 04, 2013, 02:29:55 am
Does anybody fray, tatter the edges of matt sheets for that distressed look? How and with what tool?
Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: texshooter on April 04, 2013, 03:22:25 am
Bingo!

http://nathanselikoff.com/resources/how-to-deckle-edges-on-watercolor-paper-for-digital-fine-art-prints

And now I know what "deckling" means.
Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: neile on April 04, 2013, 09:40:27 am
You can buy rulers specifically made for this: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Tearing-Rulers-Inch-Deckle/dp/B00161UFRU.

I have one from www.dualedgeripper.com that works like a charm the one time a year a client asks for this look.

Neil
Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: mstevensphoto on April 04, 2013, 11:08:39 am
you may find tha tone od the deckled edge rulers or tools is what you need. every time I try to DIY it I end up wasting a bunch of time and paper before landing on what I want. the tools are perfect and cheapish.
Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: Rob Reiter on April 04, 2013, 11:44:03 am
I have the DualEdge deckling tool, which is nice, but I actually prefer the look of a simple torn edge using a straight edge like a long ruler. Tearing from the back side seems to work better, but with either tool, trying both front and backside tearing-the looks lill be different. A "loose" tear, where I don't try to follow the straight edge perfectly, is also worth trying; sometimes the result can be more natural.

Different papers will give different results and since paper has a grain direction, tearing cross-grain may give different results than tearing with the grain.
Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: rxchaos on April 04, 2013, 12:24:27 pm
Perhaps you're aware Hahnemühle makes a deckle edged paper in their PhotoRag, MuseumEtching and WilliamTurner textures. One pays about a 50% premium for the torn edges.

-c

Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: texshooter on April 04, 2013, 12:55:26 pm
Apparently Epson Cold Press is also available with deckled edge.

http://digitalcolorimaging.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59
Title: Re: How to fray edges of rag paper?
Post by: Paul2660 on April 04, 2013, 02:11:09 pm
Ditto to the dual edge ripper.  Works very well.

I have found that the best papers for this application are the heavy weight matte, like Epson Hot or Cold press,  BC Optica 1, or Canson Arches.

The problem with putting already ripped paper in a roll feed printer is the head tends to hit the deckles and I feel you get a lot more dust inside.  I was surprised to see the information that Epson is selling Cold press deckled, it appears it's only in smaller sheets not rolls.

Floating out a deckled print can make for a very nice presentation.

Paul Caldwell