Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: bryanlinden on March 27, 2013, 12:02:25 pm

Title: Mantis
Post by: bryanlinden on March 27, 2013, 12:02:25 pm
I caught this guy checking out my back yard and thought a macro shot was in order. I like how the blurring isolates his head a bit, what do you think?
Title: Re: Mantis
Post by: Brett_D on March 27, 2013, 12:30:39 pm
It's a cool image.  I think a tiny bit sharper (and maybe a bit more DOF) would be stronger while still creating for the look you achieved.
Title: Re: Mantis
Post by: bryanlinden on March 27, 2013, 12:37:58 pm
Thank you! It is actually sharper than it looks, I think I got a little compression happy with Save for Web :).
Title: Re: Mantis
Post by: wolfnowl on March 27, 2013, 01:14:09 pm
It's a cool image.  I think a tiny bit sharper (and maybe a bit more DOF) would be stronger while still creating for the look you achieved.

I agree.  And welcome to the forums, Bryan!

Mike.
Title: Re: Mantis
Post by: nemo295 on March 27, 2013, 06:45:44 pm
The extreme bokeh is pretty cool. I like the shot.
Title: Re: Mantis
Post by: bryanlinden on March 27, 2013, 06:57:14 pm
Thank you. I like that a user has to look for the details, keeps them engaged longer hopefully :). I appreciate the comments
Title: Re: Mantis
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on March 28, 2013, 10:11:14 am
Hello Bryan, welcome to the forum from me too.

For me the DOF is much too shallow, the centrality of the subject doesn't help either. It seems that focus fell on the mouth parts and not the eyes. But others like it so don't listen to me.