Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R Smith on March 24, 2013, 02:20:00 pm

Title: Newlyn Luggers - In Colour!
Post by: John R Smith on March 24, 2013, 02:20:00 pm
Scary stuff, this, Smith has a go at (digital) colour!

Well, as I got further on with my pix of the old luggers at Newlyn I thought I would have a go at colour rather than my usual black and white. The first couple of attempts were pretty dreadful – normally when I shoot colour I would use film, Kodak Portra for choice – but I ditched them and here are two that I am fairly happy with. Over to you chaps for C & C. You know far more about colour than I do, so any thoughts are welcome.

Tech stuff – these are Hasselblad 3FR 39MP files, processed in Lightroom 3.5. The camera was a Hass SWC with the Zeiss 38mm Biogon. I did a fair bit of burning and dodging and so on, just as I would in B/W. My colour workflow is pretty good, now, the prints on Harman Gloss FB Al off an Epson 2400 are very close to what I am seeing on my monitor. Took a while to get there, though!

Let me know what you think, as ever.

John
Title: Re: Newlyn Luggers - In Colour!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2013, 05:38:28 pm
Color? Whazzat?

As a color-blind photographer all I'll say is I find them both convincing, but the second image is a more appealing composition, with the guy clearly visible next to the boat.

Eric

P.S. The composition wouldn't be much different in B&W. And yes, the bright hull color does liven things up without seeming excessive, IMHO.
Title: Re: Newlyn Luggers - In Colour!
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 24, 2013, 06:22:00 pm
Interestingly, one of the luggers from your B&W image (SS19), was featured on the TV last week.