Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on March 19, 2013, 01:00:08 pm

Title: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 19, 2013, 01:00:08 pm
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8572564706_3b7686b001_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: Bruce Cox on March 19, 2013, 02:22:23 pm
It is nice to be without the red of the planter at the bottom.  Otherwise, I like your color version better.  Importantly for me, the bright edges of leaves seem both more subtle and brighter in color.
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 19, 2013, 02:28:33 pm
I toned the red down about as far as I felt I could go and not have it look artifical. It's so much fun to discover after the fact the things you think you would have thought of when shooting, but it is so rarely the case. I will likely revisit this plant with some macro work as I find the subtle colors quite facinating. Thanks for your comments. They are always well taken, even when they sting a touch.
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: David Eckels on March 19, 2013, 06:12:20 pm
It is nice to be without the red of the planter at the bottom.  Otherwise, I like your color version better.  Importantly for me, the bright edges of leaves seem both more subtle and brighter in color.
Ya just can't please everybody ;) I liked the subtle tones of the color version too, but this B/W version really appeals to me.
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: francois on March 20, 2013, 03:49:46 am
I also have a preference for the color version but this photo is almost as good. The loss of the planter at the bottom is a good thing.
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 20, 2013, 09:55:36 am
The series is steadily improving, Chris. There's a thread elsewhere about the first shot being the best, but these images support my feeling that we tend to work towards better compositions.
One suggestion: it's a bit symmetrical for a plant. I would try putting the upper rosette off-center.
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 20, 2013, 11:32:54 am
The series is steadily improving, Chris. There's a thread elsewhere about the first shot being the best, but these images support my feeling that we tend to work towards better compositions.
One suggestion: it's a bit symmetrical for a plant. I would try putting the upper rosette off-center.

I just can't find a composition that workd with the larger one off center. I'm going to wait until they get a little bigger and reshoot. I agree as to eolving an image. I ilked the first one but I love the last one more.
Title: Re: Sometimes, a Great Notion
Post by: gerafotografija on March 20, 2013, 11:05:54 pm
This one made me stop in my virtual tracks. The color biddies a few posts down, not so much.

Something about the contrast and symetry, not sure exactly what.