Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: marcmccalmont on March 13, 2013, 03:50:23 am

Title: Your favorite paper?
Post by: marcmccalmont on March 13, 2013, 03:50:23 am
I've asked this before but I'm settled into my new apartment and have a Canon Pixma Pro 1 as my "apartment printer"
What is your favorite paper for Color and B&W or muted colors?
I haven't tested papers for several years now so if you wouldn't mind helping me save time by "cutting to the chase"
Cost no object just the finest IQ paper you know
Thanks
Marc

1. Color
2. B&W
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: howardm on March 13, 2013, 07:09:41 am
You're going to get every answer under the sun but I like.....

Canson Platine & Baryta
Epson Hot Press
Hahn Photo Rag Satin & FA Pearl
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: marcmccalmont on March 13, 2013, 07:16:54 am
You're going to get every answer under the sun but I like.....

Canson Platine & Baryta
Epson Hot Press
Hahn Photo Rag Satin & FA Pearl

Yes but after a dozen answers some common likes will emerge!
Marc
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: walter.sk on March 13, 2013, 11:21:44 am
High dynamic range, whether color or B&W:

Canson Baryta
Epson Premium Luster
Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl

Lower dynamic range or less saturated colors:

Epson Hot Press Natural
HP/Hahnemuel Textured Fine Art
Bergger PN33
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: mvsoske on March 13, 2013, 11:45:32 am
Color or B&W - Ilford Gold Fibre Silk / Canson Baryta Photographique
Color - Epson Premium Lustre
           Red River SanGabriel Fibre

Mark
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: hokuahi on March 13, 2013, 12:23:32 pm
Canson Baryta Photographique
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: Sal Baker on March 13, 2013, 01:24:43 pm
Canson Platine & Baryta Photographique.  Go for Platine if anyone will be handling the print.  The heavy 100% cotton rag feels wonderful in the hand.

Sal
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: JohnBrew on March 13, 2013, 03:04:21 pm
Marc, my chief paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. I print from rolls for color and bw. However, for single sheet paper for bw I was using Ilford GFS (I understand they've changed the name) but they raised the prices so for the moment I'm using Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta. In the past I've done quite a bit of printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl, but I've gradually used all but a couple of sheets. I wasn't unhappy with it, I just decided I liked the texture of the Photo Rag Baryta better.
Good luck with your decision.
Regards,
John
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: BGemeiner on March 13, 2013, 05:09:17 pm
I'm using the Pixama Pro 9000 mkII and I love the Hahnemuhle Matte papers.  I especially like the etching papers.  If you like glossy paper though this is not for you.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: howardm on March 13, 2013, 05:16:08 pm
If you like GFS, then give the Canson Baryta a spin.  It's *VERY* close (probably the same paper base) but the GFS may be a bit warmer.

Marc, my chief paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. I print from rolls for color and bw. However, for single sheet paper for bw I was using Ilford GFS (I understand they've changed the name) but they raised the prices so for the moment I'm using Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta. In the past I've done quite a bit of printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl, but I've gradually used all but a couple of sheets. I wasn't unhappy with it, I just decided I liked the texture of the Photo Rag Baryta better.
Good luck with your decision.
Regards,
John
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: Luca Ragogna on March 13, 2013, 05:41:31 pm
I likes me some Gold Fiber Silk.

For everyday printing I like Epson Premium Luster, BC Vibrance Luster or Ilford Smooth Pearl (I find the 3 of them VERY similar) I've been wanting to try LexJet's
Sunset Photo eSatin. I hear good things about it but haven't had a chance yet.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: PeterAit on March 13, 2013, 05:45:36 pm
Sheesh, will people ever stop fussing about papers? A good photo is good no matter what it's printed on. A bad photo is bad no matter what it's printed on.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: jrsforums on March 13, 2013, 06:02:37 pm
Sheesh, will people ever stop fussing about papers? A good photo is good no matter what it's printed on. A bad photo is bad no matter what it's printed on.

You are correct.  However, good can be made better.  Paper is one of the levers that can be used.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: Sal Baker on March 13, 2013, 07:29:26 pm
Sheesh, will people ever stop fussing about papers? A good photo is good no matter what it's printed on. A bad photo is bad no matter what it's printed on.

Exactly!  My photos are so bad I print them on roll paper-- Charmin.  (I know, I know...they must look like...)

Sal
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: Geraldo Garcia on March 13, 2013, 08:22:54 pm
Sheesh, will people ever stop fussing about papers? A good photo is good no matter what it's printed on. A bad photo is bad no matter what it's printed on.

On a "Printers, Papers and Inks" forum? I surely hope not, as this is the ideal place to talk about that.

My favorites or color and BW photo are:
Canson Platine (glossy cotton paper)
Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 (matt cotton paper)
Hahnemühle Bamboo (matt warm bamboo/cotton paper)

My favorites for artwork are:
Hahnemühle Museum Etching
Canson Edition Etching

Best regards.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: snowrs on March 13, 2013, 10:17:25 pm
Well, I'm late to the game, but I will ditto the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and Canson Baryta Photographique for serious stuff.  If you spray or coat prints, then the Gold Fibre Silk gets the nod.  It covers much easier than the Canson paper.  The Canson paper really soaks up sprays, and always seems to have a somewhat splotchy surface when viewed at an angle.

Another nice paper for everyday use is Moab's Lasal Exhibition Luster 300.  It is heavy enough to have a good feel in hand, and the surface is not too overly glossy like some.  Maybe it is my imagination, but it also seems to do better than most papers when it comes to gloss differential and bronzing when printed with pigments.  It also takes protective sprays or Gloss Optimizer well, which makes for attractive prints.

Of course, this is all just my opinion...YMMV.

bob snow
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: Martin Ranger on March 13, 2013, 11:16:23 pm
Matte:
Epson Hot Press Bright (nice and cheap)
Moab Sumerset Museum (lovely and expensive)

Luster:
Canson Platine
Harman by Hahnemuehle Gloss Baryta

And I agree with Sal Baker: the Canson Platine feels very nice in hand.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: mshea on March 13, 2013, 11:30:22 pm
Luster: Harman by Hahnemuhle. Great for both color and B&W. Only problem is curling.

Matte: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth

Merrill
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: aaronchan on March 13, 2013, 11:33:50 pm
Color:
Ilford Gold Fiber Silk
HFA museum Etching
HFA PhotoRag 308

B&W:
Canson Platine Fiber Rag
HFA PhotoRag 308
HFA Museum Etching
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: marcmccalmont on March 13, 2013, 11:45:20 pm
So far the ones that stand out are Canson Platine, Canson Baryta and Ilford gold fiber silk. Should be a good start and a reasonable way to spend my B&H gift certificate from Christmas!
Thanks Marc
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: howardm on March 14, 2013, 07:13:04 am
Honestly, they're 'kinda' all the same, esp. the Canson Baryta vs. Ilford GFS.

Spend some of the gift $$ on a couple of sampler packs, just to give yourself 'hands on' w/ significantly different papers.
Title: Re: Your favorite paper?
Post by: mvsoske on March 14, 2013, 11:24:55 am


Spend some of the gift $$ on a couple of sampler packs, just to give yourself 'hands on' w/ significantly different papers.

+1