Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Glenn Bartley on February 26, 2013, 10:39:21 am

Title: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Glenn Bartley on February 26, 2013, 10:39:21 am
Here's one from a setup that I did back in Bolivia in November.

Cheers!

Glenn

(http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9174/purplishjay01.jpg)

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 7.1
ISO: 400
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Graham Clark on February 26, 2013, 07:36:50 pm
wow that's amazing! where in bolivia?

Graham
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Tony Jay on February 26, 2013, 09:12:08 pm
Another wonderful image.
The perch seems familiar - do the birds line up to pose?  :D

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 26, 2013, 10:59:26 pm
Another wonderful image.
The perch seems familiar - do the birds line up to pose?  :D

Tony Jay
They do, because he entices them with promises of untold fame and fortune if they'll pose for him. I can think of no other reasonable explanation for all his winners.
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Tony Jay on February 27, 2013, 01:30:37 am
They do, because he entices them with promises of untold fame and fortune if they'll pose for him. I can think of no other reasonable explanation for all his winners.

That MUST be where I am going wrong!  ;)

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 27, 2013, 03:45:54 am
That MUST be where I am going wrong!  ;)

Are you purplish with envy, Tony?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Tony Jay on February 27, 2013, 05:07:18 am
Are you purplish with envy, Tony?

I'll look in the mirror and let you know!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Tony Jay on February 27, 2013, 06:38:39 am
Had a look - turns out I was only green with envy!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Lloyd Mayeda on February 27, 2013, 08:19:24 am
Another outstanding photo Glenn!  Thanks again for sharing and for continuing to show us beautiful birds from parts of the world that we do not frequent.
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: rambler44 on February 27, 2013, 09:12:28 pm
I guess it is the combination of the zoom lens and aperture that blurs out the background so nicely into a color that is compatible or has a nice relationship with the green of the bush. 

I know that Bolivia has a variety of climates ranging from tundra of the high mountain plains to the semi -tropical and tropical climates of the lower areas.  There must be quite a variety of bird life, yet this shows the beauty of the more common birds as well.
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Tony Jay on February 28, 2013, 12:07:21 am
...I guess it is the combination of the zoom lens and aperture that blurs out the background...

A very small point: the lens in question is actually a prime - 500mm with a 1.4 times tele-extender.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Purplish Jay (Bolivia)
Post by: Josh-H on February 28, 2013, 04:35:52 am
Glenn, your bird photography is consistently excellent and I enjoy clicking on each of your threads as I just know its going to be more than worth it. I rarely if ever shoot birds, but I so admire a good photograph of one that is so well executed. Please keep them coming.