Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on February 24, 2013, 07:14:44 am

Title: leaves
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 24, 2013, 07:14:44 am
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 24, 2013, 09:04:25 am
Do I see a touch of frost on the leaves?
I like the image; nice tones and nice arrangement.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 24, 2013, 10:32:42 am
The frost is a nice touch. As well as warm toning.

However, for this type of image to work, there has to be some compositional point, rather then just a bunch of leaves on the ground. That point could be, say, a pattern. Or you can come closer and find an interesting juxtaposition, or one or several leaves that somehow stand out.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 24, 2013, 11:01:00 am
I certainly like the right side of the composition more than it as a whole. Perhaps Slobodan's suggestion could be focused to that area in a vertical composition...but I really do like that crisp, ice crystal look.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: David Eckels on February 24, 2013, 01:50:45 pm
I like this. It has some of the same positives and negatives of Ken Cameron's "Bad Dream" post. It certainly works for me as a "fine art" shot although I would like it just a tad "crisper" FWIW.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: nemo295 on February 24, 2013, 01:53:56 pm
I like it. I think it's fine just the way it is.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: churly on February 24, 2013, 06:34:15 pm
I like it as is.  There is plenty of pattern and it is well balanced IMOP.
Chuck
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 26, 2013, 05:10:45 am
As ever, interesting opinions. Yes, Eric, this was taken on one of the very few frosty days we had in Manchester this year. It's a focus blend of half a dozen images, taken with some difficulty because the 24-105 was suffering badly from zoom creep, looking straight down as it was. Slobodan, I saw this as a pseudo-abstract, deliberately without a particular focal point, and I liked the contrast between the frost and a warm tone.

Thanks, all.

Jeremy
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 26, 2013, 08:14:24 am
I had a lens that suffered madly from near vertical or 90 degree creep so I always made sure I had a roll of duct tape with me, thus temporarily securing my focus and range. Later, I discovered Painter's tape held just as well and left less residue to clean off. Geeze, what we sometimes have to do to find "that" shot.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on February 26, 2013, 08:27:12 am
Living where I do- that is upstairs from hell's main and secondary boiler room this to me is a pleasant photo. The crispness of the leaves is well presented- the composition is what it is, random, which in itself is a composition I guess.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: RSL on February 26, 2013, 08:33:46 am
The frost is a nice touch. As well as warm toning.

However, for this type of image to work, there has to be some compositional point, rather then just a bunch of leaves on the ground. That point could be, say, a pattern. Or you can come closer and find an interesting juxtaposition, or one or several leaves that somehow stand out.

+1, but I don't like the toning. I guess I just don't like toning, though I did enough of it in my darkroom back in the sixties.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: l_d_allan on February 26, 2013, 05:58:24 pm
I certainly like the right side of the composition more than it as a whole.

Agree. And nice use of sepia.
Title: Re: leaves
Post by: rogerxnz on February 27, 2013, 12:51:25 am
Agree. And nice use of sepia.

I think there is enough interesting variation in the shapes and types of leaves to avoid a more specific point of interest but the image will never be as good, in my opinion, as an image with a great point of interest.

But I do query the shade of the toning. On my laptop, it comes up very cool washed-out brown and that is not a shade I associate with dead leaves. I would like to see a variant with a warm brown tone, maybe even tending towards orange. A positive and happy tone!
Roger