Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: CryptoMuseum on February 19, 2013, 08:16:47 am

Title: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: CryptoMuseum on February 19, 2013, 08:16:47 am

Hello all: I had a catastrophe, with Hasselblad Zeiss 30mm F3.5 Distagon T* C Fisheye lens circa 1975.

It was dropped from  2' height onto a metal case corner. The lens shade and front
element hit a glancing blow on the corner of the case.

One shade "petal" bent, severely but not broken and the front element has a thick mark on the coating, a few inches long, but the glass surface seems to be undamaged.
Incredibly the shade damage does not intrude into the image, and the  lens seems to work  OK!

I attempted to clean it with Digiclean A and B solutions, lens tissue, and lens cleaning
solution. Finally I used the Lens Pen. All this cleaning gave some improvement, but the coating mark does not fully  clean off, perhaps the coating is damaged?

Hasselblad no longer services these.

1, Any other ways to try to clean the coating mark?

2, Any USA or EU lens repair firms that you can suggest? (I would prefer an old Hasselblad technician!)

3, Do you think the petal shade (aluminum?) will break if it was straightened?

4. Any source of parts for these old lenses?

MANY THANKS!

Kind Regards,
Jon PAUL
Crypto-Museum
Title: Re: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: langier on February 19, 2013, 10:03:44 am
Shoot a roll of film and you will probably be surprised at what seems tragic and appears bad is simply just a battle scare that ultimately doesn't show in your final image.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: hasselbladfan on February 19, 2013, 11:37:38 am
There is one on Ebay for sale for 1800 usd.

I have the CF version and I wouldn't like to live without it. :)
Title: Re: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: Rhossydd on February 19, 2013, 11:45:45 am
Incredibly the shade damage does not intrude into the image, and the  lens seems to work  OK!
Trying to bend the lens petal back to shape may make matters worse. If it's working OK, just roll with it and be thankful it's still usable or get it replaced under insurance.
The lens coating is almost certainly damaged, so you might get the occasional problem with flare. Trying to get a lens element re-coated won't be cost effective. In forty years I've never read of anyone getting that done.

Title: Re: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: EricWHiss on February 19, 2013, 12:53:19 pm
Focal Point lens in Colorado can recoat lenses but I agree with others that if it doesn't show in the images I wouldn't bother.  Also because the metal is bent it may be impossible to remove the front element to work on.

Title: Re: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: hasselbladfan on February 20, 2013, 04:44:45 am
Try also to post it in the Medium Format section, you may get other ideas.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 30mm fisheye lens catastrophe!
Post by: Paul Ozzello on February 20, 2013, 05:32:44 pm

Hasselblad no longer services these.


Are you sure about that ? I recently had my SWC/M and 500C/M serviced by Hasselblad in New Jersey and they did a fantastic job.

You might also contact David Odess:

http://www.david-odess.com/

Hope you can get it sorted out.

Paul