Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on February 18, 2013, 12:46:48 am

Title: Abandoned
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 18, 2013, 12:46:48 am
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8485032874_2139404691_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: wolfnowl on February 18, 2013, 02:00:48 am
Yup.  That it is!  Except for the local wildlife, anyway.  Did you consider doing any keystone correction, or are you content with it as is?

Mike.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 18, 2013, 08:27:25 am
I did some but honestly think the building is leaning forward in its journey toward total oblivion. Will check however. Thanks for the observation..

As to local wildlife, I never saw the first thing fly, crawl, run, slither or (no water of course), swim by and I was there for over an hour. This was as quiet and desolate a place as I've ever been.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 18, 2013, 08:55:22 am
Slight processing variation. Redo did reveal a slight tilt abberation as a smidgeon of perspective off.

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8528/8485932590_8e219db8cc_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 18, 2013, 01:41:12 pm
Slight processing variation. Redo did reveal a slight tilt abberation as a smidgeon of perspective off.

You couldn't give it just a tad more space on the right, could you? It looks cramped.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: francois on February 18, 2013, 01:51:54 pm
You couldn't give it just a tad more space on the right, could you? It looks cramped.

Jeremy

I agree and I would try either to reshoot or use content-aware tool in PP.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 18, 2013, 01:55:49 pm
I will probably do a reshoot and go for a more horizontal composition.
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 19, 2013, 03:47:17 am
I will probably do a reshoot and go for a more horizontal composition.

That's certainly worth a try, but it wasn't my point. The dark sky complements the abandoned building. I like the vertical composition: I'd just prefer it (as the punchline in the original shaggy dog story almost goes) not so damn vertical.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Abandoned
Post by: Chris Calohan on February 19, 2013, 09:03:35 am
That was my "not as successful as I thought it would be" attempt to give the building back some of its former majesty, lording over the community it supported for so long.

I do understand what you're getting at and I will incoporprate that vertical/horizontal thinking into the next compositions.