Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: bns on February 13, 2013, 05:19:16 am

Title: Iceland painting itself
Post by: bns on February 13, 2013, 05:19:16 am
Among my Iceland pictures, I like to share one from the geothermal region near the Krafla vulcano in Northern Iceland.
The landscape turned into a painting (abstract?, impressionistic?) all by itself.

Thanks for looking.

Boudewijn Swanenburg
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: Tony Jay on February 13, 2013, 05:40:56 am
Yes, it is all in the colours this image.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 13, 2013, 10:34:38 am
Very fine.
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: SunnyUK on February 13, 2013, 10:44:29 am
Wonderful colours. This looks great, bns.
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: churly on February 13, 2013, 05:23:16 pm
This is nice.  The scale queues are ambiguous enough to leave you wondering.  I'm wondering if it could use a wee bit of sharpening but then, I am prone to over sharpening.
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: bns on February 14, 2013, 04:02:16 am
Thanks guys for the encouraging comments.

This is nice.  The scale queues are ambiguous enough to leave you wondering.  I'm wondering if it could use a wee bit of sharpening but then, I am prone to over sharpening.

Sharpness has indeed been a challenge with this image. Obviously one does not want to hide detail in the general texture of the image. On the other hand too much sharpening easily creates some unbalance with the global smoothness of the landscape. I therefor locally increased the sharpness in some areas and decreased it in other areas. I am quite content with the result in the form of a 20 inch print I have. At the same time I now realize I could have used a stronger output sharpening for this web version.
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: luxborealis on February 14, 2013, 01:49:51 pm
Looks better small... keeps me wondering what it is. Large is too obvious.
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: James Clark on February 14, 2013, 03:16:09 pm
Looks better small... keeps me wondering what it is. Large is too obvious.

I kind of agree here.  Also, probably many (most?) would disagree, but I'd remove the large rock from the bottom left area.  I think it's a near perfect natural abstract with beautiful color but that one sharp intrusion is very disconcerting to me. 
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: wolfnowl on February 15, 2013, 02:03:25 am
Was thinking on that myself.  Would have to see it both ways, but it seems incongruent to the rest of the scene.  I know, Mother Nature rarely worries about something 'out of place'.

Mike.
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: bns on February 15, 2013, 04:47:11 am
Was thinking on that myself.  Would have to see it both ways, but it seems incongruent to the rest of the scene.  I know, Mother Nature rarely worries about something 'out of place'.

Mike.

I must admit that initially I had some mixed feelings about that piece of lava myself. In the end I decided to leave it as is. Why should we deny it being there, at that exact spot? It tells us that this region is not always as peaceful as it looks now.

Is it a pimple on the nose or possibly the icing on the cake? Your choice.

Boudewijn
Title: Re: Iceland painting itself
Post by: francois on February 15, 2013, 05:07:20 am
I must admit that initially I had some mixed feelings about that piece of lava myself. In the end I decided to leave it as is. Why should we deny it being there, at that exact spot? It tells us that this region is not always as peaceful as it looks now.

Is it a pimple on the nose or possibly the icing on the cake? Your choice.

Boudewijn


The piece of rock doesn't bother me. It reminds me that this image is not fully abstract and also gives some sense of scale.