Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mstevensphoto on February 11, 2013, 09:19:33 am

Title: 3up 8x10's on 24" paper
Post by: mstevensphoto on February 11, 2013, 09:19:33 am
I'm not having any luck searching for this and am wondering if anything has changed. I find myself needing to print a bunch of 8x10's on my ipf 8300 and my paper of preference is moab exhibition lustre which does not come in a 10" roll.

if I canvas my images 3 across by however many tall in photoshop and tell it to print borderless the whole canvas is enlarged to account for the borderless printing and I end up with two images less than 8" wide and one more than 8" wide. can I make it work so I can use my whole roll width and have my 8x10's be exactly 8x10?
Title: Re: 3up 8x10's on 24" paper
Post by: Scott Martin on February 11, 2013, 10:03:47 am
That's the tradeoff - borderless scaled printing without margins or actual size printing with margins. Sounds like your problem really likes with paper selection and fitting. 10" rolls would be ideal and might warrant a paper change. Perhaps another orientation would better optimize placement? 2 wide in landscape orientation on a 24" roll for example...

Otherwise getting 3 wide on a 24" will require some tricky math where you size the images a little smaller and then print with borderless to get the actual size. That's a complicated road to go down and makes for an ugly workflow...

Also, if you're doing a decent volume, you might consider a nesting solution like that from ImageNest, Qimage or even the Free Layout that comes with your 8300. Photoshop is a slow dog for volume work.
Title: Re: 3up 8x10's on 24" paper
Post by: mstevensphoto on February 11, 2013, 11:33:58 am
I currently do 8x10's end to end (taking 20" of paper) or sometimes match them along the tall side and stick in 5x7's as I have them. it's a pain.

with the layout software, does that get me three across or am I still leaving swaths of unused paper?

I'm open to suggestions on 10" rolls. I have the Kodak and find it to be ok, but not nearly as nice as the Moab.
Title: Re: 3up 8x10's on 24" paper
Post by: Scott Martin on February 11, 2013, 11:37:19 am
with the layout software, does that get me three across or am I still leaving swaths of unused paper?

The one's I quoted all use the driver so the same limitations apply. Potentially a RIP could solve your problems but I'd hate to see you go that route. Again a different roll would be far more elegant.

I'm open to suggestions on 10" rolls. I have the Kodak and find it to be ok, but not nearly as nice as the Moab.

Canon and Epson both sell excellent 10" rolls of luster/satin last time I checked.
Title: Re: 3up 8x10's on 24" paper
Post by: bill t. on February 11, 2013, 01:58:37 pm
Use a 17" x 100' roll and toss an inch.  Will save a borderless mess and your little blue switch dealies will thank for it.
Title: Re: 3up 8x10's on 24" paper
Post by: Mike Guilbault on February 12, 2013, 07:59:44 am
To get perfect 8x10s on my 10" rolls I had to fool the printer a little.  I'm sure this would work on larger rolls as well.  I created a custom paper size of 10.25" and set the printer for borderless printing "Retain Size".  I then made the image 10.25" wide as well.  Perfect 8x10s.

With larger rolls, you'd may have to set the outer 8x10s a little larger and the inner 8x10 as is.  A bit of a pain, but could work.