Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: wolfnowl on February 09, 2013, 02:02:47 am
-
http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/highly_impressive_snow-clearing_japans_tateyama-kurobe_alpine_route_24357.asp
Mike.
-
Thanks Wolfnowl,
That puts a couple of inches of snow causing chaos in southern England in perspective!
-
Much the same thing is done around Mt Rainier (my neighborhood). Except that due to extreme avalanche hazard, they don’t start until around April. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/6950821824/in/set-72157629533930067
-
Gosh, Mike! At first I thought those photos were taken of the street in front of my house this morning. I can't open my front door yet to see for sure.
Our "couple of inches" were at least two feet where I live, but it's hard to measure because there have been hurricane-level winds (and one report of over 100 mph winds at the top of Great Blue Hill in Canton, MA, just a few miles from here.)
-
Yep,
By the time they open the road back up late April there is as much as 17 meters (2012) of accumulated snow in places, depending on winds,...
Recently it is more around a shy 13 meters though... Global warming...
The cost of removing the snow is around 1M$ per year.
By the way, the whole area is totally closed between late Nivember and April with typical night temps around -15 to -20C, strong winds and... Near constant snow falls. I have been there a few times in Nov and May, very nice place to be if you have basic winter skills.
A 300 megapixels pano of the place I shot late Nov a few years back.
(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2797/4150352896_d8110f342f_o.jpg)
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Thanks for the context, Bernard! They get around 10-12 metres or so farther up island, but it's a ski resort, so nobody minds too much. We have cherry blossoms and other flowers.
Mike.
-
Buffalo NY 2004 after lake-effect storm: http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/graphics/oswego3_small.jpg
Not as impressive as the Japanese route, but enough to keep me well away.
-
What can I say? This morning we received a mere 5 cm of snow and it causes a mess on the streets!