Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 25, 2013, 03:36:52 pm
-
Out and about with Ansel and his camera equipment back in 1958.
Go here to watch. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo30-6XI6k)
Dave
-
Emperor's new clothes?
-
I've not seen this film before. Thanks for the link!
-
I am reliably infoirmed that there is a recent doco made by Rick Burns.
-
I am reliably infoirmed that there is a recent doco made by Rick Burns.
You mean Rick Burns followed Ansel around recently? ???
-
Here is the Burns doco — all 1 hour 20 minutes of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIN4jccI_qM&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Cheers,
-
The first docu. I didn't have patience to finish; the second one is actually quite old - I've have it on DVD for some years - a gift from a Spanish waiter who is a photo-fan - and I've watched it repeatedly, much as I have the Annie L. one that I have here. I say that about the second (AA) film, because it starts in exactly the same way as the one I have; I don't intend to watch it all again right now, so there might be changes further along, but if all we end up with is a re-edit, it would be of value to first-time audiences only...
I don't think photographers always make good subjects for film. What grabs the attention, when it does, is quite possibly the voice of the person doing the narrative, decent images being a prerequisite, of course, along with good camerawork and how it manages (or not) to make the most of the photographs being shown.
Some years ago there was a couple of films on the 60s snappers shown on the Beeb, and they were very interesting if Bailey, Donovan et al. are your thing - they were mine. Later, several years down the line, a movie about Bailey and Shrimpton was made, The British are Coming (?) using actors, and though quite convincing if you allowed your mind to wander, such things end up feeling vaguely unreal. Which, of course, they are.
Difficult medium to crack - at least, for photographic audiences. Or not.
Rob C
-
This is one of the better films on Ansel. It shows that he actually had to make a living and shoot more than just sticks and stones that many remember him best.
Yes, he was great in the landscape and crafting images with heart, but he was also quite competent with other facets including commercial, industrial and portrait, though he was never comfortable with those aspects of his work.