Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: huguito on January 22, 2013, 12:33:02 am

Title: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: huguito on January 22, 2013, 12:33:02 am
I just got a used 9600.
My laptop has Windows XP and I find drivers for the printer in the Epson website.

The problem is that I use to store and process my pictures a windows desktop with Windows 7 as operating system.

Can't I find a way to make the windows 7 desktop operate the printer.

Is there any way to make my desktop work with the 9600?

What can I do???????
Title: Re: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: aaronchan on January 22, 2013, 01:54:33 am
I believe the Vista driver should work on Win 7
give it a shot

aaron
Title: Re: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: huguito on January 24, 2013, 02:25:54 am
Thanks Aarochan
Just in case i am not the only one with this problem;
I downloaded the drivers for vista 64.
The Epson 9600 likes them
Everythig runs perfect  :)

Hugo
Title: Re: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: lhodaniel on January 24, 2013, 04:51:53 am
As others have pointed out, the "Vista" drivers (they are actually XP drivers not updated since 2007) will work under Windows 7. They will not work under Windows 8, however. Epson is promising Win 8 drivers for the 9600, but don't hold your breath. They had a similar promise listed for the 7600 for 3 weeks, then removed it from their web site. Now they say the 7600 will not be supported under Windows 8. This is outrageous for a "professional" printer. It is doubly outrageous because they never actually wrote a windows 7 driver. Had they done so, that would have worked in Windows 8. To not update drivers for a professional product in 6 years is unacceptable.

Let's remember that Epson makes their money on selling ink and paper, not on the printer itself. They are still generating revenue from selling 7600 inks, yet they won't support the printer. I have recently switched to 3rd party inks for the first time. So far, the results are great. I refuse to buy any more Epson supplies if they will not properly support their products. And when I do upgrade, there is a better than even chance that I will buy a Canon. In the meantime, I'm getting great prints from non-Epson ink that is half the cost of OEM.

I encourage all wide format printer purchasers to consider all their options before buying Epson.
Title: Re: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: Wills on January 24, 2013, 05:36:14 am
You could consider a rip I know they are many expensive but there are modestly priced options like Printfab and they are supported.
Title: Re: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: Wills on January 24, 2013, 05:37:05 am
As others have pointed out, the "Vista" drivers (they are actually XP drivers not updated since 2007) will work under Windows 7. They will not work under Windows 8, however. Epson is promising Win 8 drivers for the 9600, but don't hold your breath. They had a similar promise listed for the 7600 for 3 weeks, then removed it from their web site. Now they say the 7600 will not be supported under Windows 8. This is outrageous for a "professional" printer. It is doubly outrageous because they never actually wrote a windows 7 driver. Had they done so, that would have worked in Windows 8. To not update drivers for a professional product in 6 years is unacceptable.

Let's remember that Epson makes their money on selling ink and paper, not on the printer itself. They are still generating revenue from selling 7600 inks, yet they won't support the printer. I have recently switched to 3rd party inks for the first time. So far, the results are great. I refuse to buy any more Epson supplies if they will not properly support their products. And when I do upgrade, there is a better than even chance that I will buy a Canon. In the meantime, I'm getting great prints from non-Epson ink that is half the cost of OEM.

I encourage all wide format printer purchasers to consider all their options before buying Epson.
What ink sets did you opt for?
Title: Re: Epson 9600 Drivers
Post by: lhodaniel on January 25, 2013, 04:49:19 pm
Yes, I'm running the free beta of PrintFab for Windows now and it works fine. The only issue I have is that the beta doesn't yet have totally working paper orientation controls for rolls on the 7600. But, that's a nuisance I can tolerate. Colorbyte Imageprint is another option, but expensive. I've already invested that money in an i1 Extreme.

I bought the Cave Paint Elite inks loaded into Repleo reused carts from AbsoluteInkjet.com. I know from past experience that Cave Paint is from Lyson. Results are great with custom profiles with the i1 Pro. The inks are supposed to be an Epson match, but I haven't tried any canned Epson profiles yet. This is something I would have to verify before considering a turnkey profile system like ImagePrint. I know you can use your own profiles with IP as well, but you are then not using a lot of what you have purchased.