Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: HSakols on January 03, 2013, 10:33:40 am
-
I have a Mac Mini on its way. I see it does not have a FW400 port. I've always had my Epson 4800 connected via FW400. Should I not worry and just use USB or do I need to buy a Thuderbolt to Firewire adapter? Thunderbolt is great if you are rich, but what a pain in the ......
-
I have a Mac Mini on its way. I see it does not have a FW400 port. I've always had my Epson 4800 connected via FW400. Should I not worry and just use USB or do I need to buy a Thuderbolt to Firewire adapter? Thunderbolt is great if you are rich, but what a pain in the ......
Can't you connect it via Ethernet?
-
I have a Mac Mini on its way. I see it does not have a FW400 port.
FW800 -> 400 adapter, $3.80 at OWC right now.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/FIR1369AD/
-
FW800 -> 400 adapter, $3.80 at OWC right now.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/FIR1369AD/
Yes, this is the best (and cheapest) option if HSakols wants to connect his printer via FireWire.
-
Yes, this is the best (and cheapest) option if HSakols wants to connect his printer via FireWire.
It is at least a good, cheap option. Another option is getting a FW400 to FW800 cable, for the slight convenience of not fiddling with an adaptor dongle. And since FW cables and sockets are "symmetric" (rather than having an "A" end and a "B" end as with USB printer cables), there is only one type of such cable!
-
It is at least a good, cheap option. Another option is getting a FW400 to FW800 cable, for the slight convenience of not fiddling with an adaptor dongle. And since FW cables and sockets are "symmetric" (rather than having an "A" end and a "B" end as with USB printer cables), there is only one type of such cable!
In fact, I use both an adapter and a FW400-FW800 cable. I think the latter option is more convenient, the connection is more secure and it's more compact (than the FW800_to_FW400 adapter + FW 400 cable).
-
FW800 is backwards compatible with FW400, using a simple (and cheap) plug adapter. That's all you need. Amazon has them. Just enter "FW800 to FW400 adapter" in the search field. They have one made by Menotek for USD $4.50. It will work just fine.