Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: whiskey01 on December 10, 2012, 11:33:01 pm

Title: Monitor/printer calibrator for dell 2711/Epson r1800
Post by: whiskey01 on December 10, 2012, 11:33:01 pm
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new calibrator device that does both the monitor and printer.

A friend suggested that I look at colormunki but a sales rep at my local shop told me to look at the spyder capture pro bundle.

I'm honestly not sure which to get, so hopefully someone can give me a hand.

Also the dell 2711 has multiple modes, RGB, sRGB, wide gamut?  Should I calibrate with default color profile in RGB if that is the colorspace I work most in or thr wide gamut?

Lastly, how much better are printers nowadays compared to my r1800?  I plan on using it to print on Moab natural bright 300 gsm double sided paper.

Sorry for all the questions and I hope I posted it in the proper forum.

Thanks for the help!

Title: Re: Monitor/printer calibrator for dell 2711/Epson r1800
Post by: Simon Garrett on December 11, 2012, 02:41:09 am
Lots of useful reviews around. 

For Dell 2711 advice see http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm) and http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2711.html (http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2711.html).  The TFT Central one especially gives suggestions for results when calibrating in various modes. 

For calibration tools see http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews.html#Monitor_profiling (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews.html#Monitor_profiling) and http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.html (http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.html).
Title: Re: Monitor/printer calibrator for dell 2711/Epson r1800
Post by: digitaldog on December 11, 2012, 10:06:59 am
A friend suggested that I look at colormunki but a sales rep at my local shop told me to look at the spyder capture pro bundle.
I'm honestly not sure which to get, so hopefully someone can give me a hand.

I'm going to side with your friend, get the ColorMunki.
Title: Re: Monitor/printer calibrator for dell 2711/Epson r1800
Post by: whiskey01 on December 11, 2012, 01:28:06 pm
Thanks for the link Simon, and thanks Andrew for your opinion on the calibrator.

Does anyone else have more input?

Appreciate the help.
Title: Re: Monitor/printer calibrator for dell 2711/Epson r1800
Post by: whiskey01 on December 15, 2012, 04:27:23 pm
Just used my colormunki for the first time and it was super easy.  My colours of my dual monitors match pretty well!  Thank you for your vote :D

I'm going to side with your friend, get the ColorMunki.