Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shaunw on November 25, 2012, 06:56:55 am

Title: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: shaunw on November 25, 2012, 06:56:55 am
Shot last week on a very cold damp morning but with decent winter light making fleeting appearances between thickening clouds, it had just started raining/sleet in the second shot. Iam a little undecided here as to which works the best, crisp light in the first but more mood/atmosphere in the second? which works best your you and why?... thoughts appreciated Shaun

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8215838683_be46063f3b_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skwalby/8215838683/)
Yorkshire Dales..lone tree (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skwalby/8215838683/) by Shaunwalby Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/skwalby/), on Flickr


(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/8216921570_db568b55b8_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skwalby/8216921570/)
Yorkshire Dales..lone tree II (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skwalby/8216921570/) by Shaunwalby Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/skwalby/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 25, 2012, 07:48:49 am
Both nice. My preference is probably for number 2, but it's a close run thing.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Seoonmie on November 25, 2012, 08:10:19 am
Both are really good. However, I'm leaning slightly towards the first image. The tree stands out better in that one, thanks to the crisp colours and light. Also the shadows seem better pronounced in that one. But like I said I like them both.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 25, 2012, 09:58:28 am
#2 because it better conveys the change in weather.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Colorado David on November 25, 2012, 11:13:07 am
Well, they must be fairly close because we are equally divided.  I prefer number one.  We should call it even.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 25, 2012, 11:20:25 am
One is odd, two is even. So two wins
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Larry Heath on November 25, 2012, 01:53:21 pm
I like #2 better as well.

#1 has the tree and cloud elements tangled together. If you could have gotten the first one with the tree in clear sky I think I would have liked that one better. If you had shot the first from oh say five steps to the left think it would have then been the better of the two.  Not that they both arn't both very nice shots.

Later Larry
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Tony Jay on November 25, 2012, 03:11:30 pm
The sky changes everything between the two images.
Both are excellent but my pick would #2.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: shaunw on November 25, 2012, 03:34:31 pm
Cheers guys...looks as though the atmosphere from the sky in the 2nd shot is nosing that one ahead.....thanks for your input.
Shaun
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: wolfnowl on November 26, 2012, 02:09:11 am
Wait!  I'll vote for #1!!  ;D

Mike.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 26, 2012, 04:09:43 am
Both quite nice. I will go for #2, because the hills on the right are a bit warmer, which provides a better contrast to the added drama in the sky.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: geotzo on November 26, 2012, 04:31:09 am
My vote for no.2 as well. I like the "storm approaching" feeling to it. 
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: francois on November 26, 2012, 05:05:19 am
Wait!  I'll vote for #1!!  ;D

Mike.


I'm with the majority this time. For me #2 wins!
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 26, 2012, 11:50:06 am
#2. The mood fits the body language of the tree.
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: shaunw on November 26, 2012, 02:28:49 pm
Wolfnowl Paulo geotzo Francois and Eric....thanks for input, i think #2 will go on my webiste

thanks Shaun
Title: Re: Yorkshire Dales...Lone Tree
Post by: Larry Heath on November 26, 2012, 04:58:07 pm
On further reflection I still like the second photo better because there is nicer light on the tree it seems to be coming from a bit lower angle and seems to be a bit less harsh. The foreground elements seem less contrasty and harsh even though the first has color tones that seem a tiny bit warmer.  Next I like the light in the near portion of the valley it give some depth and detail there as well. Finely I like the light on the far hill in the background it gives the picture a bigger feel and with more apparent depth.

Later Larry