Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on October 27, 2012, 05:21:51 am

Title: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: stamper on October 27, 2012, 05:21:51 am
I don't often do B&W landscapes But I think this one looked OK. A Cal Mac ferry approaching Brodick on the Isle of Arran after leaving Ardrossan. It looks like a rain storm cloud but unusually for Scotland it wasn't.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: Tony Jay on October 27, 2012, 06:38:40 am
Striking, very striking.
A great piece of image making.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: francois on October 27, 2012, 07:28:39 am
It's a very fine photo. Bravo!
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 27, 2012, 08:55:38 am
As someone who loves B&W landscapes, I really like this one. Very nicely done.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: nemo295 on October 27, 2012, 10:55:54 am
I like it a lot. The ship makes the shot.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: petermfiore on October 27, 2012, 11:09:12 am
A modern classic!



Peter
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: RSL on October 27, 2012, 11:50:44 am
A fine piece of work, Stamper. Good shooting.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: stamper on October 28, 2012, 04:34:32 am
Thanks for the replies. I think it was obvious to me that the B&W was best because the original was a muddy brown looking image.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: WalterEG on October 28, 2012, 07:28:41 am
It's a stunna Stamper.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: John R on October 28, 2012, 08:37:23 pm
I have to add my kudos to your bw image. Another example of how the main main subject, though small and centred, nevertheless works wonderfully.

JMR
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: louoates on October 28, 2012, 08:51:11 pm
Agree with all. +++. The centering works well here, nicely balancing the cloud mass.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: IanBrowne on October 28, 2012, 09:03:21 pm
three cheers for someone doing the different and using B+W when colour would be the norm. I think many would benefit if the original colour was posted for a comparison ;)

To be picky; i would like to see a little more water and the boat could be more to the right; very typical ROT i guess but the boat more to the right would balance the highlite area middle LHS

having said that, I reckon the photo is worth a frame (that means I really like it!!  :))
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: stamper on October 29, 2012, 04:45:18 am
This is the original. I was shooting sunsets and I wasn't happy with the colour balance so I did a conversion.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: WalterEG on October 29, 2012, 04:55:51 am
It is still a cracker, either way.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 29, 2012, 09:48:58 am
I finally mustered the courage to oppose the chorus of unanimous accolades from distinguished gentlemen, helped by the publication of the original: it is unquestionably, 100% better than the b&w. And the inclusion of more of the body of water helps anchor what was otherwise the letdown of the OP crop: the ackwardly central position if the ship.
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: stamper on October 29, 2012, 10:05:16 am
I realise there are different positions that the ship can be placed in and still be acceptable to anyone looking at the image. However my over arching reason for having the ship in the middle was because I was actually more concerned by the shape of the hills and where the cloud placement was. If I had cropped the left or right hand side of the image  to put the ship off centre then the background would have  - imo - become unbalanced. :)
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 29, 2012, 01:49:37 pm
I finally mustered the courage to oppose the chorus of unanimous accolades from distinguished gentlemen, helped by the publication of the original: it is unquestionably, 100% better than the b&w. And the inclusion of more of the body of water helps anchor what was otherwise the letdown of the OP crop: the ackwardly central position if the ship.

I wholly agree. The colour version doesn't have the slightly odd double edge to the central cloud, either (or at least, it's not obvious).

Jeremy
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: Bruce Cox on October 29, 2012, 03:44:38 pm
I think you may be able to do a little more with the color.  Here I have tweaked the color and layered a B&W on it.

Bruce
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: stamper on October 30, 2012, 04:46:35 am
That is very good. I intended to work again on the colour version. Sometimes when you process something it doesn't seem to come together and I find if you leave it for a week and go back it helps. I will use that as a reference. :)
Title: Re: B&W landscape sunset
Post by: 32BT on October 30, 2012, 10:05:11 am
it is unquestionably, 100% better than the b&w. 

+1