Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on October 23, 2012, 12:02:25 am

Title: Green clouds
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 23, 2012, 12:02:25 am
I don't understand these green clouds. Yellow clouds picking up blue from the clear spot??
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: francois on October 23, 2012, 05:55:43 am
I won't explain the green clouds but I like this image a lot. It has such an out-of-the earth look!
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: Chris Calohan on October 23, 2012, 08:28:16 am
Understand the natural mechanics behind a rainbow and the green clouds will begin to make sense. Lovely color.
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: Tony Jay on October 23, 2012, 09:00:08 am
Diffraction can be a good thing!  :D

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 23, 2012, 11:03:53 am
Understand the natural mechanics behind a rainbow and the green clouds will begin to make sense. Lovely color.

Very interesting: thanks!

Perhaps green clouds are more common than I realize: I did not see these when I took the shot, or during casual inspection of images soon after. Only yesterday when I started processing and paying attention to the mountain shadow did I notice the cloud colour.

Thanks, Francois and Tony.
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: Colorado David on October 23, 2012, 12:40:02 pm
Around here green clouds mean you'd better get your car in the garage and put your insurance adjuster on speed dial because it's going to hail like hell.
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: Chris Calohan on October 23, 2012, 02:49:28 pm
And here it is a fair warning a tornado is lurking about somewhere...green clouds have few earthly friends.
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: IanBrowne on October 25, 2012, 11:15:21 pm
I saw this image when it was first posted and I was hoping someone provide the answer.

Maybe a little too much shadow but it's still a very interesting photograph.
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: Tony Jay on October 25, 2012, 11:23:35 pm
I saw this image when it was first posted and I was hoping someone provide the answer.

I thought we did!
Diffraction can be a good thing!  :D
Understand the natural mechanics behind a rainbow and the green clouds will begin to make sense. Lovely color.
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: IanBrowne on October 25, 2012, 11:50:50 pm
I thought we did!

yeah OK; now I understand the replies; bit on the slow side today   ::)
Title: Re: Green clouds
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 27, 2012, 11:23:29 am
Maybe a little too much shadow but it's still a very interesting photograph.

Thanks Ian! I think the shadows had to be that dark to bring out the colours. I'll take another look at it.

I'm afraid that, like Ian, I don't entirely get the rainbow and diffraction explanation. The light is diffracting through a narrow opening? Why is the green so widespread, the red so narrow, and the other parts of the spectrum missing?