Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: grilla on October 13, 2012, 12:36:15 am
-
The cost of printing and framing photos has gotten to be very expensive, while the cost of HD TV's has come down dramatically and the quality of the picture has gone up. I am looking to hook up a dvd player to a 60" HD tv and using that as a display for my photography (amateur here no pro). I would then burn high resolution photographs to a dvd and have them rotate at a specified time period. Anyone else thought of doing this and if so how good did your photos look?
-
I recently did just that for a window display using my images - though playing from a USB stick in back of TV, instead of from a DVD - a 60" Sharp Aquous IIRC.
Though I wanted a fast turnover of images which is slightly different from your needs I guess. But this threw up some interesting issues.
Minimum Sslideshow speed was slower than I required and image quality was simply dreadful on video playback no matter how I adjusted set up. But despite not being able to really tweak slideshow image quality images looked much, much nicer than when used in TV mode.
So if playing images use the slideshow facility and a USB stick as you may get better images than when in TV mode [and not have to have a DVD player plugged into it]. I seem to recall other TVs I tested having similar quirks, so make sure you test how they work first and as a rule turn off all the image 'enhancement' features as they tend to do just the opposite. The Sharp was generally shocking as a TV as it happens with all sorts of weird motion artifacting even with motion smoothing type nonsense turned off.
-
I had the same idea and discussed it in this thread (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=63855.0) earlier this year (post #4)
-
Hi,
Something else, but I show my pictures using a projector (1080P) on screen. I use a dedicated MacMini and calibrate the projector with my Color Munki Photo.
I'd suggest that if you get color management right, the results will be gorgeous!
Best regards
Erik
The cost of printing and framing photos has gotten to be very expensive, while the cost of HD TV's has come down dramatically and the quality of the picture has gone up. I am looking to hook up a dvd player to a 60" HD tv and using that as a display for my photography (amateur here no pro). I would then burn high resolution photographs to a dvd and have them rotate at a specified time period. Anyone else thought of doing this and if so how good did your photos look?