Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Roscolo on September 24, 2012, 12:33:20 pm

Title: Phototex Outdoors - Which Clearshield Product To Use?
Post by: Roscolo on September 24, 2012, 12:33:20 pm
I have made an outdoor sign printed on Phototex printed on an HP z3100, mounted on Dibond. I would like to get a year or two out of it without fading. Which Clearshield product should I use for maximum longevity? Clearshield original or Clearshield CSX5000?
Title: Re: Phototex Outdoors - Which Clearshield Product To Use?
Post by: Randy Carone on September 24, 2012, 01:45:22 pm
Original would be my choice BUT, test a small section of a test print before spraying your sign. I've not heard of anyone who has clearcoated Phototex, so test, test, test. Vinyl may have been a better choice for medium- to long-term signage.
Title: Re: Phototex Outdoors - Which Clearshield Product To Use?
Post by: Roscolo on September 24, 2012, 01:52:14 pm
I've tried vinyl. Doesn't hold up well. That's why I'm giving Phototex a go. Local sign company said they had used it extensively outdoors and it holds up well. But they use a machine laminate. I just need to put the best liquid laminate on there I can. Either one of the clearshields, or maybe Ronan Aquathane.
Title: Re: Phototex Outdoors - Which Clearshield Product To Use?
Post by: Roscolo on September 24, 2012, 03:06:49 pm
Couldn't really find the Clearshield CSX5000 in stock at any of my suppliers. Just going to go with Clearshield original and test it out and see how it does.
Title: Re: Phototex Outdoors - Which Clearshield Product To Use?
Post by: Ken Doo on September 24, 2012, 05:02:45 pm
I use Premier Art Shield (from Atlex - ItSupplies  :)) on Phototex----and it holds up surprisingly well outdoors.  Test products before distribution though---I once applied a hvlp varnish/finish thinking it would provide heavier duty protection, which it did, but it also seemed to dissolve the self-adhesive on the Phototex, and the adhesive wasn't nearly as strong as it needed to be for my application.