Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: owenpga on September 23, 2012, 06:42:37 pm
-
Hello,
My 8 year old 24 imac just died and had the following specs:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Use computer mainly for photography work, stitching panoramics, post processing in LR and PS.
Using Nikon D700 raw files.
Since there are a infinite number of options on specs, I was looking for someone who might be doing similar work with similar programs.
Would like this next computer to zip through processing at fairly quick speeds. Tired of the spinning ball..........
I'm sure there is a big difference in speed between the 24 imac and baseline mac pro but I want this computer to carry me for some time.
If anyone has thoughts on processer selection, ram, etc. I would appreciate and input.
Was looking at the base model mac pro and upgrading to the better processor and maybe 16-32g memory.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Thank you
Owen
-
I'd look at a new 27" iMac and installing a 6G SSD in place of the internal optical drive (if the latest iMacs still need you to remove the optical drive to install an SSD) and use the SSD as your boot applications drive . It comes with 4GB RAm standard but if you've got the money you can go up to 32GB RAM.
I run the following photographic processing programs with my 2.66Ghz i5 quadcore iMac with 16GB RAM (OWC) and an OWC 3G 240GB Mercury Electra SSD as boot/applications drive:
Lightroom 4.1, Creative Suite CS6 (including PsCS6 obviously) CaptureOne, PTGui Pro; Helicon Focus Pro, ColorThink 2.3, and Datacolor and Xrite color management programs
My cameras these days run in the 17 Mp range and up to 39mp.
The system is very fast and I can only imagine that with the current 27" iMac processors and the 6G SSD it will be even faster.
I had the SSD installed by a local Apple authorized repair center here in Atlanta but OWC can do the job for you if you have your iMac shipped to them. The details are at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac
If you haven't discovered it already http://www.macperformanceguide.com/ is a very reliable source of information.
-
Ellis,
Thanks for the reply.
I've looked at the new imacs and although very powerful, I don't like the glossy screens for photo editing. A friend has one and It's night and day compared to my old imac, matte screen. I guess its a personal preference.
-
get an imac and use your old screen as a second monitor if you don't like it glossy....