Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: BradSmith on September 20, 2012, 03:19:36 pm

Title: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BradSmith on September 20, 2012, 03:19:36 pm
I found this product fascinating.  There may be (digital) life in my 4x5 field view camera!!!  The idea of using the 4x5 body with tilt/swings and the sliding adapter plates for stitching images sounds like fun. 

But help me understand the crop factor in this setup.  Is the following correct?    My 4x5 film yielded a diagonal of 155mm.  My APS-C dslr has a diagonal of 26.7mm.   Full frame (35mm) diagonal is 43.2mm.  If I put my 210mm view camera lens to use with my view camera and this adapter and my APS-C digital body, will my single image crop factor be........ (155/26.7) = 5.8?  And therefore, the 210 mm 4x5 lens on the view cam with my APS-C body attached would be the 35mm equivalent of a  210mm X  5.8 = 1218mm lens?   

Thanks
Brad
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Sheldon N on September 20, 2012, 03:50:15 pm
There's no crop factor at all. A 210mm lens will be a 210mm lens, and with a single image you will have a telephoto field of view just like a normal 210mm lens on the 35mm camera would have.  Start stitching 35mm images together and you will capture a wider field of view.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: ndevlin on September 20, 2012, 05:59:29 pm

What Sheldon says, except that the smaller APS-C sensor will be able to cover a smaller area of the frame on each shot as it is slid across the image (verticals obviously cover more ground).  I think the system is designed more for the full frame 35mm cameras, but there is not reason an APC body wouldn't work.

In terms of the math, you would end up with a tighter crop and, unless you use of the their fancier backs that allows three rows of shots, the stitched frame will be more horizontal.

Still, a neat solution for now a ton of money.  While moving the adapter does vibrate the view camera a bit, this should be immaterial for stitches on static landscape subjects. 

- N.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BradSmith on September 20, 2012, 08:00:20 pm
I guess I'm not understanding something.  For example, with DSLR's the lens, based on its focal length, projects a certain field of view/image circle.  With full frame sensors, the sensor or 35mm film intersects a certain portion of the image circle and we've gotten used to that from years and years of film and therefore, call that "normal".  If we have a smaller sensor with the same lens, it intersects a smaller portion of the same image circle, so it appears to be a higher focal length view, ie the crop factor.   

How is it any different with a view camera lens and the dslr sensor?  The view lens projects a large image circle that is usually intersected by a 4x5 piece of film with a big diagonal.  Now we stick the "little" DSLR sensor into the image circle, and it is only seeing a small portion of the image.  Isn't that the same thing?  Except it would result in a much higher crop factor than APS-C vs full frame.   

Brad
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: ndevlin on September 21, 2012, 02:48:26 am

You're absolutely right. The only twist is that these adapters allow the 35mm mount to move around to 4x5 image-area, taking multiple shots, which you then stitch. The APS-C sensor captures a smaller rectangle of light out of the bigger 4x5 field on each 'move'. Therefore, assuming the camera is positioned vertically, you take out a narrower (more horizontal) sliceof the image as you draw the the camera across the image field taking pictures.

Does that description help make sense of this? It's one of those easy-when-you-see-it but hard to describe in words things.

Cheers,

- N.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: EricV on September 21, 2012, 12:18:25 pm
The confusion may be that 4x5 users are comfortable calling this a 210mm lens, without having to say that it is a "60mm equivalent" (compared to 35mm), with a crop factor of 0.3 :)
 
But if you prefer that terminology, it is a "210mm equivalent" on a 35mm sensor and (210/(26.7/43.2)) = "340mm equivalent" on an APS-C sensor.  Of course if you do enough stitching to cover the original 4x5 field of view, then it is back to "60mm equivalent".
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: MarkL on September 22, 2012, 05:59:28 am
I wonder about the quality of of most 4x5 lenses for doing this, modern dslrs are already maxing the very best 35mm format lenses we have which are substantially better. I suspect investing in a pano rig may be a better option.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Anders_HK on September 22, 2012, 07:33:46 am
I wonder about the quality of of most 4x5 lenses for doing this, modern dslrs are already maxing the very best 35mm format lenses we have which are substantially better. I suspect investing in a pano rig may be a better option.

You will need to research what lenses are sharp, e.g. http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm

I can testify of Shen-Hao having really good products. They actually made me a "prototype" custom made sliding adapter for my Leaf digital back around three years ago, per my concept and design. I sold that one to a gent who replaced his current model Mamiya sliding adapter, because mine was lighter weight, better made, and he said the precision totally acceptable. It is very pleasant to see what they have further developed which looks clever for market and to use with DSLR, and of course I was happy to be part of their initial investigations per say  ;D. In honesty I do not know the precision on these adapters they now make. My best guess is that from when they made mine they should know about precisions required for digital. Mine was for my then 28MP Leaf digital back. Lenses I tried with it were Schneider SA 72mm XL, Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm, Schneider SA 58mm XL. The 72 and 150 were at least as sharp as nearly all Mamiya 645 AF lenses I have owned, thus I mean sharp. The 58 was not so good, but that may be because everything was so small on my groundglass due to that it was a very wide lens. I assume with the ones for DSLR you will focus using the DSLR.

The other year I sold off near all my camera gear, but my Shen-Hao TFC 45-II B is a keeper, along with my upgrade to Rolleiflex Hy6 and 80MP Leaf back. The TFC 45-II B may be a good choice for their adapters, because it is a non folding camera and thus the back standard of camera is more rigid than a folder. The Shen-Hao cameras are simply wonderful craftmanships to work with. Of course, you may also wish to pick up a couple of film holders and attempt to use film. It is nice to experience that as well.  ;)

Best regards,
Anders
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 25, 2012, 10:26:43 pm
I wonder about the quality of of most 4x5 lenses for doing this, modern dslrs are already maxing the very best 35mm format lenses we have which are substantially better. I suspect investing in a pano rig may be a better option.

Well, movement can potentially be great with those, but it already is pretty challenging to get accurate focus when using movement with 4x5 not featuring asymmetric tilt,  I expect it to be very challenging with DSLR type of resolution. Confirming the focus in various part of the intended image circle by moving the DSLR on the adapter and iterating with tilt would end up being a cumbersome experience.

Leaving movement aside, I don't see any value compared to spherical stitching:
- spherical stitching is faster,
- you have a lighter kit that can fold more compact and is totally bullet proof,
- you only use the central part of better resolving lenses.

So it can be fun to play with if you have lots of time on your hands...  :)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Ben Rubinstein on September 26, 2012, 02:58:50 pm
I had a similar concept to this in the Camera Fusion adaptor and have to agree with Bernard. Spherical is faster and easier, lighter and quicker.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: MarkL on September 26, 2012, 03:17:57 pm
I had a similar concept to this in the Camera Fusion adaptor and have to agree with Bernard. Spherical is faster and easier, lighter and quicker.

Indeed. I have being doing this with only a levelling base in terms of gear investment for landscape photography since switching from film. For architectural or product work perhaps it is useful if you are on a tight budget. It seems like a pain to use and I am far from convinced even my best LF lens can deal with sections of 36MP stitched together.

Something like a horseman vcc and a digitar lens may be ideal but a quite a cost.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Anders_HK on September 26, 2012, 04:39:59 pm
I am far from convinced even my best LF lens can deal with sections of 36MP stitched together.

Per my experience on 28MP Leaf back;
Schneider 72mm XL Super Angulon is very sharp and should be fine.
Likewise the low cost used Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N

Digital large format lenses will be sharper yet but will not provide the image circle necessary. There was a discussion on getdpi some time back of Rodney Lough Jr using the Schneider 80mm XL Super Angulon with digital back on an Alpa for large format stitching and that one was said to be very sharp. Check the specs (weight), per what I was told by Schneider the 72mm is sharper since the 80 made more to be light for ease of carry.

Is it worth effort? It is a different approach. For large format stiching movements using the adapters asummably are on 4x5 terms and can be adjusted on 4x5 groundglass Fine focus can be made when using dslr. i believe will work.

Bill Maxwell makes very bright groundglass,

Of course a single frame of 4x5 film is a mere one shot in comparison and alot simpler than any panoramic stitch.

Best regards
Anders
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 26, 2012, 08:01:05 pm
Of course a single frame of 4x5 film is a mere one shot in comparison and alot simpler than any panoramic stitch.

Frankly, I am not even sure that is true.

All things taken into account, I would say it is about as time consuming to take a one sheet of film with 4x5 as it is to take an 8 images spherical pano. And that is of course without even taking into account the huge time needed to Imacon scan a sheet of film and totally remove the dust specs from it.

If you start to use movements on the 4x5, then it takes several times longer.

4x5 is a lot of fun, but nowadays it is rarely the superior solution from a quality/effectiveness standpoint unless:
- you are after a certain look,
- you need large/complex movements.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Anders_HK on September 27, 2012, 01:36:47 am
Frankly, I am not even sure that is true.

All things taken into account, I would say it is about as time consuming to take a one sheet of film with 4x5 as it is to take an 8 images spherical pano. And that is of course without even taking into account the huge time needed to Imacon scan a sheet of film and totally remove the dust specs from it.

If you start to use movements on the 4x5, then it takes several times longer.

4x5 is a lot of fun, but nowadays it is rarely the superior solution from a quality/effectiveness standpoint unless:
- you are after a certain look,
- you need large/complex movements.

Cheers,
Bernard


Setting up for a 4x5 shot is very simple. Comparing scanning vs stitching in computer?? You can scan on a lower cost Epson scanner and still yield excellent results. Heck I am considering picking up some B&W film to try and simply place in a modern conventional scanner or setting up infront of my 80MP leaf back...

I would argue that it is far simpler to arrive at good images using 4x5 than stitching by rotating a dslr, based on that very few people seem to be able produce very good images with rotate camera stitching technique. I suppose now is when you will post one of yours again Bernard? With much respect, you are one who have specialized at this. Thus I suggest you not post to and wait to see if someone else have a really good one?

For 4x5, suggest then to make a search of Ansel Adams, Jack Dykinga, Joe Cornish, Tim Parkin.

And yes the process is different. With 4x5 it is something more methodologic, and the viewing of the subject upside down on a large 4x5 groundglass "display", It is well wortwhile to upgrade the Shen Hao groundglass to one from Bill Maxwell who makes arguably the brightest available. My own 4x5 experience is limited but I keep my Shen Hao for the experience again. it is that much enjoyable way to work, slow and purposefully.

Shen Hao makes very wonderful cameras, both for use, and to look at.

Best regards,
Anders
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: JohnTodd on September 27, 2012, 02:34:08 am
I could see someone taking the control gear of a Gigapan unit and a couple of appropriately-accurate linear actuators and making an automated flat-stitching rig from one of these.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 27, 2012, 03:04:28 am
Setting up for a 4x5 shot is very simple. Comparing scanning vs stitching in computer??

Taking an image with a 4x5 camera involves:
- Unfolding the camera, more or less fast depending on type,
- [option] set the lens if it is not set yet,
- [option] set filter holder on the lens if needed,
- [option] mount lens shade,
- set the cloth,
- screw in the release cable,
- remove the GG cover,
- frame,
- pre-focus,
- apply movements if needed
- adjust focus by using a loupe in one or several parts of the GG,
- measure the scene with a light meter (in itself this takes a bit of time - need to check ISO setting,...),
- add center filter to lens if you shoot wide,
- compute modification of exposure taking into account the bellow extension, center filter, other filters,...
- set apeture and diafragm (typically need to move around the camera to do it),
- close shutter
- cork the shutter
- insert the film holder
- wait for wind to slow down to reduce below induced vibrations,
- take 3 bracketed exposures to be sure to have one right

So there is nothing simple about this process... it is, as you rightfully put it, "slow". :)

I am also using a Maxwell goundglass on my Ebony 45SU.  ;D

As far as scanning goes, there is also nothing simple if you want a good quality. Epson doesn't make sense with 4x5, you waste half of the detail and 1/3 of the DR. And this is coming from someone who owns both a 750 and an Imacon Flextight.

Regarding stitching, I don't understand your comment. There are hundreds of photographers on LL alone who routinely use stitching to produce many successful images. If you are able to identify a candidate image for your 4x5 camera of MFDB, then you can apply any technique to capture it. Stitching is just that, a capture technique.

You may be referring to the difficulty of framing without a physical frame? Many photographers can deal with that.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Anders_HK on September 27, 2012, 06:26:06 am
Oh dear, once again we disagree Bernard and you keep arguing out your particular means for photography...  ;D

I find it literally simpler to set up my Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB. The only reason I not use it much is because I am digital with digital back. :)
No, I did not like digital back with a stitching adapter on 4x5, but these adapters for dslr from Shen-Hao seem to result in one thing, an even larger image capture area not far from 4x5 size. That means you can compose and adjust tilts and swings on the 4x5 groundglass!

Yes, you will get more out of drumscan from a 4x5, but you can also get very respectable quality also from an Epson. Heck I even gotten that from 6x7

No, it is not as complicated with 4x5 as your list implies. That is BS

No, I have not seen many high quality photos by people making round stitching, but I gave respect to you because you have developed it towards mastering it more than anyone else. Who else have done so, I know of nil? I suspect that is because the focus is all on the technology rather than the image. Plus... that very few are capable to visualize the image because effectively the view (width/image area or equivalent focal) changes, and no there is means such as a groundglass or viewfinder used to compose the image! The one who have best composed stitched images by rotating camera is B. Rubenstein over on getdpi. He uses a zoom lens to compose at one end and then do his stitches at other end of the lens, hence compose his image first on "half the 35mm frame".

One essence with 4x5 and larger cameras is that you can visualize the image on a large 4" x 5" display (groundglass), or even larger!

We do agree on Maxwell screen. :P  Many times I do not even need a dark cloth due to the Maxwell screen, but using one adds to the pleasant experience :)

Best,
Anders
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: MarkL on September 27, 2012, 06:37:17 am
So there is nothing simple about this process... it is, as you rightfully put it, "slow". :)

I am also using a Maxwell goundglass on my Ebony 45SU.  ;D

As far as scanning goes, there is also nothing simple if you want a good quality. Epson doesn't make sense with 4x5, you waste half of the detail and 1/3 of the DR. And this is coming from someone who owns both a 750 and an Imacon Flextight.

Regarding stitching, I don't understand your comment. There are hundreds of photographers on LL alone who routinely use stitching to produce many successful images. If you are able to identify a candidate image for your 4x5 camera of MFDB, then you can apply any technique to capture it. Stitching is just that, a capture technique.

Even my simple non-folding Ebony RSW45 is a pain to use and has a load of way to screw up. But the in-field pain is nothing compared to trying to load the film holders in the dark without a speck of dust landing on the film now quickload is gone :( Developing isn't easy either, no easy tank based solutions like roll film. I don't understand going through the trouble of lf and then scanning using an epson and even an imacon can only scan 4x5 at a limited resolution.

Spherical stitching is a piece of cake, almost all of my landscapes are shot this way and a 9-12 frame stitch takes well under a minute, I've even stitched handheld pictures together from places I couldn't take a tripod with no problems at all, I just throw them all a photoshop's photomerge and it copes easily as long as there is enough overlap. The results printed large are brilliant; uninterpolated wall size prints.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 27, 2012, 06:38:23 am
Oh dear, once again we disagree Bernard and you keep arguing out your particular means for photography...  ;D

No I am not, I am just commenting on the effectiveness of a technique, I shoot 4x5 too and love it. Stitching is not mine but having practised both extensively I believe I can comment on their respective merits.

No, it is not as complicated with 4x5 as your list implies. That is BS

I am always willing to learn, how do you simplify the steps I have listed?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: ndevlin on September 27, 2012, 10:13:33 am
Anders, I love the Shen-Hao, and working with film (their 11x14 was my singular object of lust at Photokina), but you're alone on this one buddy  ;)

Using a 4x5 in the field (indeed even getting to where you can use it - which means loading film), is a detailed, methodical and at times delicate procedure.  Worth it to many, but acres less easy than pointing a DSLR.

You are right that few people do *spherical* stitches well, in part bc of challenges with pre-visualization.  I was very surprised to find out how hard it was to envision a 35mm field of view shot with a 50mm lens when I first tried this back with my D60 almost a <gasp> decade ago. But the odds of succeeding, for someone new to either form, is much higher with digital capture.

The real achilles-heel of film, however, is scanning. You may be the only human alive who doesn't hate scanning film.  More time, sanity and image quality has been lost infilm scanning than anywhere else.  It is the photographic equivalent on a colonoscopy.  Raw digital (and analog-printed film) kick the shit out of anything other than the very best drum-scanning on the very best scanners, calibrated by the best techs, and charged at the very top dollar.  Scanning is simply the weakest (or most costly) part of any workflow.  This is why I don't think people see 4x5 and DSLR stitching asalternatives to one another.

But hey, if it works for you,. enjoy! :-)

- N.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: ErikKaffehr on September 27, 2012, 11:16:59 am
Hi,

I got the impression that Anders has a lab making drum scans. I tested drum scans at a pro lab in Germany and got very good results very conveniently. But the cost was about 200$ per 6096PPI scan. I got much more less as this was a test and the owner of the lab made the scans at much reduced price.

Best regards
Erik


Anders, I love the Shen-Hao, and working with film (their 11x14 was my singular object of lust at Photokina), but you're alone on this one buddy  ;)

Using a 4x5 in the field (indeed even getting to where you can use it - which means loading film), is a detailed, methodical and at times delicate procedure.  Worth it to many, but acres less easy than pointing a DSLR.

You are right that few people do *spherical* stitches well, in part bc of challenges with pre-visualization.  I was very surprised to find out how hard it was to envision a 35mm field of view shot with a 50mm lens when I first tried this back with my D60 almost a <gasp> decade ago. But the odds of succeeding, for someone new to either form, is much higher with digital capture.

The real achilles-heel of film, however, is scanning. You may be the only human alive who doesn't hate scanning film.  More time, sanity and image quality has been lost infilm scanning than anywhere else.  It is the photographic equivalent on a colonoscopy.  Raw digital (and analog-printed film) kick the shit out of anything other than the very best drum-scanning on the very best scanners, calibrated by the best techs, and charged at the very top dollar.  Scanning is simply the weakest (or most costly) part of any workflow.  This is why I don't think people see 4x5 and DSLR stitching asalternatives to one another.

But hey, if it works for you,. enjoy! :-)

- N.

Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Ben Rubinstein on September 28, 2012, 08:32:04 am

The one who have best composed stitched images by rotating camera is B. Rubenstein over on getdpi. He uses a zoom lens to compose at one end and then do his stitches at other end of the lens, hence compose his image first on "half the 35mm frame".



Thanks for that Anders!

Bit of a correction, I pre visualise then compose with a 50mm lens, my mind 'sees' in 50mm, I then use a longer lens, either zoom or prime, basically whatever I have to hand, and do the stitching.

Bit of history. I started my current work with 4x5 and a Horseman 6X12" back. Problem was that I just couldn't begin to freeze motion with the 135mm focal length I was using, in those narrow alleyways I was getting 10 second exposures. Oh and then they stopped T55 :(. I bought the Camera Fusion adaptor, no those lenses can't deal with all the pixels you are throwing at them but the tonal rendition, ooooh the tonal rendition of those lenses compared to modern over cuttingly sharp and contrast modern DSLR lenses. A different world. Now the problem with that adaptor was time and focus. In the pre-LV days, accurate manual focus was an absolute nightmare but when you are stitching across the frame in changing light, serious pain in the neck.

Then I finally went over to what I should have been using from the beginning. Spherical stitching. Instead of a Lowepro Nature Trekker full of gear, a small shoulder bag with a DSLR and 2 lenses. So much faster to visualise through the lens (harder to wander around with a 4X5 in your hands and the darkcloth over your head :P) then camera on tripod, shoot. Most of my stitches are under a minute from first frame to last. Then go home, output RAW files as flat TIFF, put into stitching program, make a drink while the numbers crunch, open the file in PS then start the usual dodging and burning, etc. No more expensive film, developing, cleaning, mounting, expensive scanning, dusting, etc.

I agree with you that there is a huge amount of stitching which is done for the sake of resolution and more resolution and even more. Pixel peeping measurbation. Heck there is a huge amount of the use of MFDB's with tech cameras and super over sharp digital lenses for the same reason. How many D800's are flying off the shelves for the megapixels numbers alone? I went for the stitching to try and replicate the tonality of LF film (it doesn't and neither does our Leaf Aptus II-8) but if you stitch using a LF lens, i.e. like the camera fusion adaptor, this shen hao or the cheap chinese equivelents, it does actually have the rendition of 4X5 if you have enough frames. It's the amount of imaging space per square inch of subject as rendered by a LF lens. You can't replicate it that rendition with a modern 35mm lens design. The only time I managed to come close is with this picture below. The lens had so much dust in it that I couldn't use it anymore for my wedding work but the look was close, not the same by any means but close to the look of a LF lens, all the modern crunchy contrast was gone :D

(http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/8/9/8/amiel.jpg)
Amiel, Jerusalem 2011


Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Anders_HK on September 28, 2012, 11:46:44 am
(http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/8/9/8/amiel.jpg)

Ben,

My reference of your good work is very sincere, I find your images the best composed among what I have seen of stitched images. I view the image you posted above as a very prime example.  ;D

What you touch about pre-visualization, it is a very essence of photography!!! This is what Ansel Adams spoke of. You are right, it should be visualizing an image prior to lifting camera, and when lifting it confirming the composition and shot. Pre visualization relates also to the exposure and how we visualize in our minds eye the final image, or the captured data for our RAW file (or negative or slide).

Most folks stitching and using a tech camera seem to leave out this important step of visualization and are focused on technique as you speak of and pixel craving. That does not lead to good images. Per my own experience it is a very crucial step to accurate be able to view prior to capture through an optical viewfinder or other means of tool as the step once lifting the camera. Or as you do, as a 50mm lens, of course! It is likewise important to learn the view of your favorite focal lengts.

What I did over some years was change different formats and pick up not only some 4x5 but also 617, 6x7 and Leica rangefinder, while at same time growing from SLR, DSLR to MFDB. They are all different ways to see and view an image. Something I noticed was that e.g. 4x5 shooters who picked up a digital camera composed an image diffeent and I wanted to learn to see and visualize using these cameras. Nope, I do not have that many pictures with them. Of them the Shen-Hao 4x5 is plain so lovely to work with and to visualize and image through the groundglass (Maxwell Hi-Lux screen) that of all the systems I find it difficult to part from it because of that very reason. Else I sold near all I had of five camera systems the other year and use more or less solely a Rolleiflex Hy6 with 80MP Leaf back and two lenses. It does not take many lenses either because it is the image that matter, not how many focal lengths you have to confuse you in the bag. An essence with my Hy6 system is precisely the visualization I do when I lift the camera, since I view the scene on a very large and bright 6x6cm focus screen through a waist level finder. After the shot I get the image displayed on a large 6x7cm display on my Leaf back and can display histogram in overlay over the entire display if I wish, or even limit it to only viewing the histogram displayed on the handle of the camera body. These are all important parts in my image chain in making an image, and in particular pre-visualization prior lifting the camera and as I lift it up and compose the shot. I think what many photographers need to learn is that photography is all about seeing, and not about many gear!!! Admittedly, I was one of them.

Thus I would encourage anyone to try 4x5 or othe format. Likely the most important you will learn is a different way of seeing. So what if you do not scan it on a drum scan or even on a dedicated film scanner? Have fun to experiment some and learn more of visualizing an image. With these adapters that seem very affordable you can also experiment using a dslr on a 4x5, which seems great. But you should visualize the image on the groundglass first, and do upgrade the Shen-Hao groudglass to something like by Bill Maxwell.

With 4x5 I shot Fuji Quickloads with Velvia 50, but regrettably Fuji dropped making them the other year, and some months ago announced that they are stopping making 4x5 Velvia 50 period. That is sad in way, yet I am now all digital basically. However, I am very tempted indeed to try out some black and white films... just for the experience to visualize it, and on 4x5... and of course working more with my Shen-Hao :). Shen-Haos are great tools. Some folks prefer Ebony that cost 4 times as much. Ebonys may be more precise, I did look at one. However, I prefer Shen-Hao because I like the teak wood... and they are cheaper and simply work really great :).

@ Eric, I have not scanned any of my 4x5 but well done so with some of my 6x7. Yup, handed in to be scanned on an Epson V600 and also a select few on drumscan. Why should it be different for a 4x5 on an Epson 600? All it takes is to blow the dust off and scan it, should be simple to do on own as well. V600 is cheap but still produce decent. Drumscanner produce far better, but it all depends on what one want to spend, and what one needs out of the image. If I pick up some B&W 4x5 I may well attempt to mount them infront of my Hy6 and 80MP Leaf back... that should work too.  ;D

Ben, any chance you can link to a photo library with your images for folks to see more of your good work?

Indeed Dan Lindberg as you mention do very good work, www.danlindberg.com. It is I guess finding a system you feel comfortable as a tool for the image, but first and most about visualization!!!  ;D

Best regards,
Anders
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 28, 2012, 09:41:14 pm
Most folks stitching and using a tech camera seem to leave out this important step of visualization and are focused on technique as you speak of and pixel craving.

How do you know that?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Anders_HK on September 28, 2012, 10:45:44 pm
How do you know that?

Cheers,
Bernard


It shows in the image.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 29, 2012, 12:04:58 am
It shows in the image.

In what image?

You do realize that the existence of an example of a negative is not a valid logical proof that the positive is a false proposition?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: Ben Rubinstein on September 29, 2012, 01:20:38 pm


Ben, any chance you can link to a photo library with your images for folks to see more of your good work?

Best regards,
Anders

www.timelessjewishart.com the 'Timeless Collection' is almost all stitched. The contemplation section is a mixture of a rather unconventional use of a lensbaby composer and a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 shot wide open. I wanted to give a photographic answer to my own use of stitching to get creamy tonality and incredible resolution so using these lenses I set out to photograph in a way that was, in my mind, what sketching is to a painting.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: AlastairMoore on May 01, 2013, 12:07:38 am
Quote
Taking an image with a 4x5 camera involves:
- Unfolding the camera, more or less fast depending on type,
- [option] set the lens if it is not set yet,
- [option] set filter holder on the lens if needed,
- [option] mount lens shade,
- set the cloth,
- screw in the release cable,
- remove the GG cover,
- frame,
- pre-focus,
- apply movements if needed
- adjust focus by using a loupe in one or several parts of the GG,
- measure the scene with a light meter (in itself this takes a bit of time - need to check ISO setting,...),
- add center filter to lens if you shoot wide,
- compute modification of exposure taking into account the bellow extension, center filter, other filters,...
- set apeture and diafragm (typically need to move around the camera to do it),
- close shutter
- cork the shutter
- insert the film holder
- wait for wind to slow down to reduce below induced vibrations,
- take 3 bracketed exposures to be sure to have one right

So there is nothing simple about this process... it is, as you rightfully put it, "slow".


Holy thread revival, batman.

I came across this post on a search for reviews on those sliding DSLR backs for view cameras. I couldn't help but comment on your reply.. if this what it takes to take an image with a 4x5 camera, what does it take to capture an image with a digital camera?

- Take camera out of bag,
- Remove lens cap
- Place camera strap behind neck
- [option] set the lens if it is not set yet,
- [option] set filter holder on the lens if needed,
- [option] mount lens shade,
- Fit camera to tripod
- Insert memory card
- Frame
- Focus
- Measure the scene with a light meter (do you honestly want to use the Nikon/Canon engineers exposure value when they're not even at the scene you're shooting?)
- Wait for wind to slow down because digital cameras are getting pretty big these days and they make a fantastic windsock
- Settle on hanging camera bag from tripod because they're still not that heavy
- Take 12 bracketed exposures because everyone processes their images using HDR/tone-mapping these days, right?
- Chimp
- Take another 12 bracketed exposures because everyone processes their images using HDR/tone-mapping these days, right?
- Upload 16Gb of images onto your computer
- Spend most of the night wading through almost identical images

With all due respect, your list of directions on taking an image with a 4x5 camera could only have been more long-winded if you the described bus journey to and from the scene. You describe a complex process but the first seven instructions only need to be done once! Of course, you know this. It rarely takes anyone with a modicum of experience with a view camera to set up, compose and capture an image more than a few minutes. If it is as slow and complex a process as you describe, most images captured with view cameras would have been missed.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: kencameron on May 01, 2013, 02:33:19 am
www.timelessjewishart.com the 'Timeless Collection' is almost all stitched.... 
Lovely work. FWIW, on my laptop I felt the web site does it less than justice, because the enlarged versions are too small. Less of a problem on my larger and high resolution desktop screen but I still felt I had to take the images a bit on trust - which I was more than willing to do. I guess there is a trade off with the size of the image and the time it takes to load.
Title: Re: Photokina - Shenhoa DSLR Adapter Plates
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 05, 2013, 07:58:03 pm
what does it take to capture an image with a digital camera?

- Take camera out of bag,
Oops, I forgot to list that one for 4x5...

- Remove lens cap
Yes, very true. :)

- Place camera strap behind neck
Don't one when shooting on tripod.

- [option] set the lens if it is not set yet,
- [option] set filter holder on the lens if needed,
- [option] mount lens shade,
I keep mine mounted all the time on all my lenses but 300mm f2.8 and 600mm f5.6.

- Fit camera to tripod
- Insert memory card
True once every 500 images.

- Frame
- Focus
- Measure the scene with a light meter (do you honestly want to use the Nikon/Canon engineers exposure value when they're not even at the scene you're shooting?)
Built-in meter is fine for calibration shot, histogram check and exp compensation for perfect exposure add 5-10 sec depending on your CPU and knowlegde of your camera behavior.

- Wait for wind to slow down because digital cameras are getting pretty big these days and they make a fantastic windsock
Hum... well....

- Settle on hanging camera bag from tripod because they're still not that heavy
- Take 12 bracketed exposures because everyone processes their images using HDR/tone-mapping these days, right?
- Chimp
- Take another 12 bracketed exposures because everyone processes their images using HDR/tone-mapping these days, right?
I haven't done a single HDR since I started to use a D3X 4 years ago, but HDR can indeed be time consuming if your equipment limits your ability to capture the dynamic you think you need.

- Upload 16Gb of images onto your computer
- Spend most of the night wading through almost identical images
True, that part can be time consuming if you shoot high volumes and have not decided to invest in the right computer equipment. Now it is not relevant if you use your DSLR like you would use a 4x5 camera.

With all due respect, your list of directions on taking an image with a 4x5 camera could only have been more long-winded if you the described bus journey to and from the scene. You describe a complex process but the first seven instructions only need to be done once! Of course, you know this. It rarely takes anyone with a modicum of experience with a view camera to set up, compose and capture an image more than a few minutes. If it is as slow and complex a process as you describe, most images captured with view cameras would have been missed.

And it is indeed my experience that, although I am shooting what I think is the most efficient 4x5 camera available, 4x5 results in a very high number of missed opportunities.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love shooting 4x5. But it is clearly a slow process, much slower than shooting spherical panos with a DSLR.

By the way, my check list applies to how I used to shoot 4x5: on the trail with my equipment in an Osprey 60l pack along with clothing, food,... I agree that things can be faster if you shoot with a car and can keep your gear pre-mounted all the time.

Cheers,
Bernard