Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on September 14, 2012, 04:29:49 am

Title: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 14, 2012, 04:29:49 am
Just some recent experiments with night time and star trail photography. The star trail shot is the result of some 88 30sec exposures, stacked in a nice little programme called StarStax. I know I should have cloned out the aircraft trails, but I was just feeling lazy...

the second photo is just clouds and full moon; third photo is looking towards the sea.

All photos taken with EOS 7D and 10-22 lens.

Cheers

Title: Re: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 14, 2012, 04:54:14 am
#3 hints at promising images, similar to others that have been posted here a while ago. The moon doesn't help this one, apart from supplying the light for the landscape. I'd like to see more of the coast in this light.
Title: Re: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 17, 2012, 11:58:02 am
Thanks for the comments. Here are a couple more from the same session.
Title: Re: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: francois on September 17, 2012, 12:47:05 pm
Thanks for the comments. Here are a couple more from the same session.

I quite like photo #1, especially the sense of movement in the water and the rocks on the left/middle side of the image.
Title: Re: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: MTGFender on September 17, 2012, 12:50:20 pm
Fantastic star trails! Love the 1st one.
Title: Re: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: shaunw on September 17, 2012, 02:28:41 pm
# 1 works well, I'd be tempted to remove the long distracting trails one running top left to bottom right, the others more horizontal at the bottom, they distract a little for me...very good well done.
Title: Re: Nightscapes, SW Portugal coast
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 18, 2012, 06:52:44 am
If you wanted to, you could make the night sky darker using curves to retain the bright stars.