Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: darlingm on September 08, 2012, 02:58:08 am

Title: Any way to rig an Epson 4900 to use 9900's cartridges?
Post by: darlingm on September 08, 2012, 02:58:08 am
Any way to rig an Epson Stylus Pro 4900, which only runs 200ml cartridges, to effectively use the 9900's 150/300/700ml cartridges?  That is, assuming the inks are identical as they're both advertised as 11 color UltraChrome HDR Ink.  I wouldn't be interested in using OEM inks, so don't know anything about continuous ink systems/refills, but if some "creative" method like that would allow genuine Epson ink to be used, I might be interested in it.  Partially due to the difference in ink cost, partially due to the hassle and inefficiency of having to stock two different sets of ink cartridges, and partially due to assuming my local Epson dealer keeps more 300/700ml cartridges in stock than 200ml ones...
Title: Re: Any way to rig an Epson 4900 to use 9900's cartridges?
Post by: gvisuals on September 08, 2012, 03:26:06 pm
I've read good things about the Cone Color HDR ink system - which uses re-fillable carts.  Since the ink system for both the 4900 & 9900 is the same you could theoretically get the re-fillable carts and re-fill from the same source ink bottles.

More info:

http://www.conecolor.com
Title: Re: Any way to rig an Epson 4900 to use 9900's cartridges?
Post by: chaddro on September 08, 2012, 08:14:15 pm
I bought a set of empty carts for my 3800 from Inkjetmall (Jon Cone) and have been using the 220ml carts from my old 7800 to refill them. I just use a paper clip on the 220ml cart so that it pours into the filling syringe. So far so good.

I think the refillable carts for the 4900 are different in that you use a chip re-setter on them. Go to his site their site and check. The drawback to the auto-resetting carts is that they reset when ever you turn the printer off/on. You have to be more mindful your ink levels.

-chadd