Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: kers on September 07, 2012, 11:42:00 am

Title: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: kers on September 07, 2012, 11:42:00 am
As I read on Dpreview ; Samyang is bound to release a TS lens the Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC

Unfortunately the mechanics seem to be as the Nikkor and not like Canons

I could be an interesting alternative for the Nikon and Canons since they have proven to make really good wide angle optics at a reasonable price.
Photozone has made some test with their current lenses and especially the 35mm d1,4 seems to be stellar and not expensive.
I do not own any of their makings so would like to know how good their lenscoating is.



Title: Re: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: RFPhotography on September 07, 2012, 11:49:38 am
That lens has been rumoured for a while now and the last I saw it was likely a Photokina announcement.  I'm also interested in their new 8mm full frame fisheye. 
Title: Re: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: Rhossydd on September 08, 2012, 04:01:59 am
It's certainly an interesting lens, if I didn't already have the Canon 24mmTSE I'd be making an advance order for one based on the performance of the 14mm I've got.
With respect to lens coating; I've found the 14mm remarkably free from lens flare and colour reproduction very good. I'd certainly buy and recommend other Samyang glass based on my experience.
Title: Re: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: mcbroomf on September 08, 2012, 12:54:40 pm
Very interested too for my Nikon. And it does have independant orientation of tilt and shift like the Canon.
Title: Re: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: kers on September 08, 2012, 02:45:47 pm
Very interested too for my Nikon. And it does have independant orientation of tilt and shift like the Canon.

OH if that is true it is even more interesting indeed. The 24mmPCE is a fine lens but has some drawbacks, like field curvature, making it difficult to get everything in -d800 quality- focus.
Since the d800 I see no lens is perfect and each has its own strengths. Only the 1,4G 85mm seems to be an almost perfect lens.
Title: Re: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: Ellis Vener on September 08, 2012, 03:38:19 pm
The 24mmPCE is a fine lens but has some drawbacks, like field curvature, making it difficult to get everything in -d800 quality- focus.

Out of a sense of morbid curiosity what program are you processing your NEFs with and at what apertures is the field curvature most and least obvious with?
Title: Re: Samyany is supposed to bring a new 24mm TS-lens at the Photokina
Post by: kers on September 09, 2012, 02:48:06 pm
Out of a sense of morbid curiosity what program are you processing your NEFs with and at what apertures is the field curvature most and least obvious with?
[/quote]

The field-curvature is like a globe so a plain surface at say 20m that you focus in the centre will be not so sharp on the sides... for interior shots this field curvature is usually a good thing.
To get the plain surface sharp i focus more on the side with liveview and use d9-d11 to get the best result. I use the latest photoshop to prepare the NEFs
( I used to stick with NikonCapture NX2 for the d3x but for the d800 adobe has the better image quality i find.)