Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on September 04, 2012, 09:34:04 am

Title: Resurgens
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 04, 2012, 09:34:04 am
A museum entryway dedicated to the Confederate States of America located at the Atlanta Zoo. Resurgens translates to "Rising Again."

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/7929668708_7d8971e222_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: amolitor on September 04, 2012, 12:34:15 pm
I'm not quite getting it. There's a huge amount of visual drama pounded into the eyes by the high contrast treatment, and the Super Dramatic Sky, but the subject itself is pretty mundane. There's an added layer of sorrow here for americans, rendering the subject a slightly pathetic as well as being kind of banal.

It almost works for me as a commentary on the false drama of the "SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!" sloganeering we see a bit of below the Mason-Dixon line, but if that's the intent it's a bit too subtle. If you're looking to actually dramatize the socio-political elements here, I'd pick a more interesting subject, maybe? If it's just about this neat gate, I'm not sure there's a pony in there, but possible a less mundane framing would fit in better with the dramatic treatment you've given it.
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: Brett_D on September 04, 2012, 01:44:22 pm
I'm not quite getting it. There's a huge amount of visual drama pounded into the eyes by the high contrast treatment, and the Super Dramatic Sky, but the subject itself is pretty mundane. There's an added layer of sorrow here for americans, rendering the subject a slightly pathetic as well as being kind of banal.

It almost works for me as a commentary on the false drama of the "SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!" sloganeering we see a bit of below the Mason-Dixon line, but if that's the intent it's a bit too subtle. If you're looking to actually dramatize the socio-political elements here, I'd pick a more interesting subject, maybe? If it's just about this neat gate, I'm not sure there's a pony in there, but possible a less mundane framing would fit in better with the dramatic treatment you've given it.

Well-said.  I agree.
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: Johnny_Johnson on September 04, 2012, 01:57:32 pm
Actually it has nothing to do with "the South rising again". The 1847 date is when Atlanta was first incorporated and, of course, 1865 was the year the civil war ended and the rebuilding of Atlanta started. The image is of  Atlanta's symbol which is the phoenix—in Egyptian mythology, the bird that rises from the ashes in rebirth.

Cya,
Johnny
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: amolitor on September 04, 2012, 02:32:43 pm
The semiotics of the gate itself make a lot more sense. I had never seen a phoenix associated with 'the south will rise again' but figured maybe it was some sort of weird atlanta variant. It makes more sense applied to Atlanta itself.

Thanks for the clarification!
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 04, 2012, 02:44:33 pm
Actually it has nothing to do with "the South rising again". The 1847 date is when Atlanta was first incorporated and, of course, 1865 was the year the civil war ended and the rebuilding of Atlanta started. The image is of  Atlanta's symbol which is the phoenix—in Egyptian mythology, the bird that rises from the ashes in rebirth.

Cya,
Johnny

Well, it would appear the guide at the museum needs a refresher course in Atlanta history...and I guess, so do I, though I retreat to a, "gee, I'm just a pithy tourista," status.
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: Rob C on September 04, 2012, 06:48:10 pm
Surprisingly, it says nothing to me about the U.S. of A. but a helluva lot about the Third Reich.

Like the picture, regardless of the nationality of type of bird; very metallic.
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: WalterEG on September 04, 2012, 06:51:16 pm
Rob,

No self-respecting National Socialist would ever have made capitals for columns like that.

Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 04, 2012, 07:57:52 pm
Surprisingly, it says nothing to me about the U.S. of A. but a helluva lot about the Third Reich.

Like the picture, regardless of the nationality of type of bird; very metallic.

I pretty much shot it for that very same reason in much the same vein as my Morningside shots.
Title: Re: Resurgens
Post by: Rob C on September 05, 2012, 06:04:43 am
I pretty much shot it for that very same reason in much the same vein as my Morningside shots.



You see? I don't actually live in a tiny world of my own; it just feels like it sometimes!

;-)

Rob C