Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Justan on September 02, 2012, 12:10:09 pm

Title: Moon shadow
Post by: Justan on September 02, 2012, 12:10:09 pm
(http://justan-elk.com/Images/Cityscapes/MoonShadow1.jpg)

Link to larger image. (http://justan-elk.com/Images/Cityscapes/MoonShadow1.jpg)

Thanks for havin' a look.
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 02, 2012, 12:17:46 pm
A beautifully toned panorama... spoiled (for me) by the insertion of the moon.
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: sierraman on September 02, 2012, 01:00:42 pm
A beautifully toned panorama... spoiled (for me) by the insertion of the moon.
Agreed. The image in itself is nice, but the Moon looks a little too large on scale with the rest of the scene.  :)
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: shaunw on September 02, 2012, 01:11:24 pm
I think the image is good it just lacks some dynamic light in the buildings which could have made it really stand out...the inclusion of the moon doesn't work for me.
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: francois on September 03, 2012, 03:50:43 am
Agreed. The image in itself is nice, but the Moon looks a little too large on scale with the rest of the scene.  :)

Exactly! A smaller Moon would be fine but this looks like a Photoshop collage. Other than that, the pano is fine.
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: Justan on September 05, 2012, 10:39:11 am
My thanks to those who commented.

That some don’t appear to like the size of the moon is good and useful feedback. I’m not going to change the size, but I appreciate the comments all the same.

I made a revision after reading an observation about the predominant angle of the light. While I like the first edition more, the later revision (below) positions the moon to be in-line with the evident light source.

(http://justan-elk.com/Images/Cityscapes/MoonShadow2.jpg)

Link to larger image (http://justan-elk.com/Images/Cityscapes/MoonShadow2.jpg)

Again, thanks for taking a look!
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: churly on September 05, 2012, 11:13:35 am
Justin - To me the specular reflections (toward the tops of the buildings) are being generated by a light source off to the right side of the image just where the shadows would be with your second placement of the moon.  What's your thinking on where you chose to put the light source?
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 05, 2012, 11:32:24 am
One possible explanation would be that the light source is a setting sun, which would be exactly the opposite side of the rising (full) moon. If that's the case, I would think that slightly warmer highlights would help.
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: churly on September 05, 2012, 01:38:40 pm
That's true Slobodan.  I was going by the title "Moon Shadow" as an indication of the light source.  Perhaps Justan will clarify.  Either way I am not real keen on the moon in this image.
Cheers.
Title: Re: Moon shadow
Post by: Justan on September 06, 2012, 11:32:12 am
>…slightly warmer highlights would help.

Interesting. Thanks.

> I was going by the title "Moon Shadow" as an indication of the light source

I may change the title.