how exactly are you trying to 'launch the utility' ? Are you confident that you're calling the utility that was installed as part of the 8.64 package
(vs. some 'leftover' from the prior version) ? Any error messages?
Yes, I'm sure: it's version 8.64. It's being launched from the print queue window after clicking "settings". There's no error message as such, just the usual Apple crash log, which shows, amongst other things:Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _PMPrinterGetJobTemplate
Referenced from: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Utility/UT4/Libraries/UtilityCore4.framework/Versions/A/UtilityCore4
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
Jeremy
Jeremy,
I had the very same issue on one of my Macs (Epson 3800 with 8.64 driver, Mac OS X 10.8.x). The solution was to reset the printing system (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341).
Let me know if it helped.
Thanks, François: that did the trick. Of course, it deleted all my printers from the system, so I had to set them up again, but that's life, I suppose.
Edit: I spoke, or rather wrote, too soon. When all I'd done after the reset was to add the 3800, it worked. As soon as I add my old HP LaserJet, via IP, the Epson utility starts to crash again. If I delete the HP, the Epson utility doesn't crash.
What a pain.
Jeremy
Jeremy,
I have both an HP Laserjet and an Epson 3800, but on a PC, not a Mac. However, I did once experience a problem that seems similar to yours, so here's another possible thing to try (but no guarantee): In my case, I couldn't get my Epson and my HP both to work if they were both connected via USB, but when I moved one of them to a Firewire port, everything worked. It seemed to be a case that there was some conflict between the HP driver and the Epson utility.
So maybe, maybe, if you can put one of them on a different kind of port, you might get things to work (and be sure to throw salt over your shoulder while trying this).
Good luck!
I have all my printer connected via network… I might fetch a Firewire cable and crawl under the table to connect my Epson via FW… Thanks for the suggestion.I'm in the same position, and might end up doing the same thing (and, indeed, getting into the same position as I do). Thanks from me as well, Eric.
I'm in the same position, and might end up doing the same thing (and, indeed, getting into the same position as I do). Thanks from me as well, Eric.
Jeremy
A new driver for the pro3800 was released on the 30 august, 2012 what it does I do not know cannot check out until next week when I get home. Hot news.... just said update for Mountain Lion..
please keep me posted on results if you decide to download it...
cheers elo
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=90NVirE+OTpZIihkjNjKtU002Ff5yAmE6ySHvL2CRLrRpeIU003D
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Drivers
Driver (9.04) 30.77 MBs - 30/08/2012 direct download
Mac OS X Common Updater (8.0) 36.94 MBs - 12/10/2011 direct download
Driver (8.64 30.16 MBs - 01/08/2011 direct downloa
Just updated another Mac and everything works fine (no need to reset printing system or restart the computer).
The driver version is still reported as 8.64.
PS: it seems often to be the case that new drivers appear on Epson's Europe site before then appear on their US site. Curious.
I had the same experience. The driver is still 8.64 (but then, I didn't have any problems with the driver) but the utility, which was also 8.64, is now 9.04 and no longer crashes.
…
Actually, Epson US always actually tests new drivers, utilities and firmware before posting them–which takes some time. Europe on the other hand simply posts what they get from Japan without testing...whether or not that is a good thing is up to you to decide, but that's the way it is and it's unlikely to change.
Does Epson US often find problems which have been missed? I'm genuinely curious.