Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Edalongthepacific on September 02, 2012, 02:26:28 am
-
I have read about potential advantages of using a FX lens on a DX (ASP C sensor) body. Theoretically, this allows the DX user to take advantage of the "sweet" central part of the FX lens. However, there must be some other issues to consider. Has anyone actually done this and jumped for joy?
-
I was extremely happy with the results of a Nikon 50mm FX lens (a really old one -- like 30 years old) on my m4/3 GH2. The adapter I used was the one that came with a LensBaby set I got to play around with effects. Experimenting can be great fun, especially if you already have the equipment. --Barbara
-
Just to add, I know that the m4/3 isn't a DX camera, but the concept is the same -- using a lens designed for a larger sensor on a camera with a smaller sensor. This is what everyone is talking about when they put Leica M senses on the Sony Nex cameras, giving you not just the advantage of a sweet spot but a sweet spot in the center of an outstanding lens. --Barbara
-
Thank you Barbara. That's a very good perspective on the issue.
-
The only negative that I can think of is that the FX lenses are typically larger or heavier or both. The DX using only the sweet spot is a real bonus.
-
No problem at all with FX lenses on DX bodies. I've been using the Nikon 85 1.8 G on a D300 for a while and it's incredibly sharp and contrasty.
-
And you get a nice telephoto boost (an aspect to consider).