Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 01:17:59 pm

Title: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 01:17:59 pm
A few shots from last week in the English Lake District. Lots of rain, but the odd half-decent & dry day, and a couple of dry-ish afternoons. Best weather was today, as we drove home.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 31, 2012, 01:34:36 pm
I like the first one.

On second thought, it seems that a stronger center of interest is missing. A lighthouse, perhaps? :P

P.S. How about petereastwaying it? ;)
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 01:39:58 pm
No lighthouses, and only a D700  :'(

I did get the water to go all blurry on the waterfall shot though - how's that for classy & avant garde? Almost makes me a proper 'tog.

As for petereastwaying it, I've no idea what you mean. Do enlighten me
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 31, 2012, 01:44:04 pm
... As for petereastwaying it, I've no idea what you mean. Do enlighten me

petereastwaying = Peter Easway's post-processing style, for instance see this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/1photo-pages/the_making_of_the_stirling_ranges.shtml
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 01:54:06 pm
Looks far too complicated for a not-a-proper-photographer like me
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 01:54:51 pm
And yes, my preference is for the first one too
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 31, 2012, 02:05:09 pm
And yes, my preference is for the first one too

They're all jolly good, but I particularly like the moonrise.

Jeremy
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 02:17:27 pm
They're all jolly good, but I particularly like the moonrise.

Jeremy

The processing has been a bit rushed, and I'm sure I can get more out of it. The reality of the scene was breathtaking - the rock was probably more red than portrayed in the photo. There's detail in the moon that isn't overly noticeable in the image posted. I'll work on it & try to bring these things out more. As it stands, I've not really done justice to the reality of it.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 31, 2012, 05:21:28 pm
First one is my favorite, too.
Bad weather often makes for better images than "good" weather
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 31, 2012, 05:39:03 pm
Eric - I agree about the bad weather, but I'd have happily foregone some of those opportunities & have basked in some decent sunshine instead.

A view from Green Gable, looking down toward Styhead Tarn, and one from the flanks of Skiddaw, looking down over Derwentwater & Keswick



Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 01, 2012, 02:24:15 am
I like Keswick best -- lots going on here.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: francois on September 01, 2012, 06:33:12 am
I love the first one ( Back o' Skiddaw) and it's my favourite but I find the last one (Evening light) very nice too!

For the second set, the last (Keswick & Derwentwater) is very appealing. The sky/clouds are perfect and the landscape with this play of shadows and illuminations put this landscape in its best light…

Well done
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Jim2 on September 01, 2012, 06:38:09 am
wow the keswick one is awesome!
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 01, 2012, 09:47:36 am
wow the keswick one is awesome!
Yes it is. I bet it would look great in a really big print.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 01, 2012, 02:41:12 pm
The processing has been a bit rushed, and I'm sure I can get more out of it. The reality of the scene was breathtaking - the rock was probably more red than portrayed in the photo. There's detail in the moon that isn't overly noticeable in the image posted. I'll work on it & try to bring these things out more. As it stands, I've not really done justice to the reality of it.

I very much look forward to seeing what you can do with it, then.

Jeremy
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: shaunw on September 02, 2012, 08:28:07 am
I think the last Keswick image has great potential, the light and clouds, dark and light fall just were you want them...it's good as is, with some tweaking it could be a winner.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 02, 2012, 10:56:53 am
Shaun, I'd be interested in what sort of tweaks you think might benefit the Keswick & Derwentwater shot.

I've reworked the moonrise image, and tweaked the Back o' Skiddaw one too. And the first B&W image - it's more or less as I imagined it when I took this one, but might not be to everyone's taste

Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 02, 2012, 03:33:53 pm
The moonrise shot is certainly a lot more striking, Bill, but I have a feeling that you've overdone the red a little: it looks almost unnatural.

Of course, I wasn't there.

Jeremy
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 02, 2012, 04:44:54 pm
That's pretty much as it was - unreal
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 02, 2012, 06:52:01 pm
All three look quite fine to me.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: brandtb on September 08, 2012, 03:50:16 pm
The first... is one beautiful image!!
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: wolfnowl on September 09, 2012, 04:25:13 pm
I love the first one ( Back o' Skiddaw) and it's my favourite but I find the last one (Evening light) very nice too!

For the second set, the last (Keswick & Derwentwater) is very appealing. The sky/clouds are perfect and the landscape with this play of shadows and illuminations put this landscape in its best light…

Well done

Rather than repeating what Francois wrote, I'll just quote him!  ;)

Mike.
Title: Re: English Lake District
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 09, 2012, 04:46:09 pm
Thanks gents. Comments much appreciated