Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NeedToKnowMore on August 29, 2012, 03:08:37 pm

Title: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on August 29, 2012, 03:08:37 pm
my 1st time buying Hahnemuhle UltraSmooth. i'm wondering if anyone is using their spray to stop yellowing.

ps. i place a layer of acid free tissue on a print. then roll it up and shipped in a tube.

Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: Ken on August 29, 2012, 07:32:48 pm
my 1st time buying Hahnemuhle UltraSmooth. i'm wondering if anyone is using their spray to stop yellowing.

I've been using it on all papers and canvases for several years. However, I've never used that paper. Good idea to buy a can and test.
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on August 30, 2012, 11:13:05 am
thanks Ken.
1 question. does the spray crack when you roll up your print to ship?
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: Ken on August 30, 2012, 12:09:53 pm
...does the spray crack when you roll up your print to ship?

No. I usually apply four layers and the papers I use (Canson Platine Fibre Rag and Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308) actually become more flexible.

As with any spray, you should experiment with distance and constant speed at which you move across the image. Hahnemühle recommends that the print lie horizontal, but vertical is better for me because it is less apt to pick up whatever gradoo might be floating in the air while it dries. However, vertical means extra care to not hesitate in movement or you'll increase the possibility of a drip. In any position, keep the spray going continuously and use the area outside of the image for changing direction.
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on August 30, 2012, 07:42:39 pm
thanks for the tips Ken
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: hugowolf on August 30, 2012, 08:19:50 pm
I use it on Canson Rag Photographique, Hahnemühle German Etching, Canson Arches Aquarelle (all 310), and Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308. I rarely if ever use it on gloss or lustre/satin/pearl papers. I use three coats with the print horizontal applied after the print has dried at least overnight.

For papers that have a tendency to recurl, like Photo Rag 308, I find that one coat to the back helps.

Brian A
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on August 31, 2012, 08:18:00 am
thanks Brian. i had to smile when i read you sprayed the back of your print. what ever made you think spraying the back would help?

i have heard of people spraying the back to give their print extra protection. but never heard it helps curling.
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: hugowolf on August 31, 2012, 10:02:32 am
Quote
i had to smile when i read you sprayed the back of your print. what ever made you think spraying the back would help?
I was reminded of bimetallic strips in high school physics. I bimetallic strip will curl when heated if the two metals expand at different rates - a trimetallic strip wouldn't. THe same sort of thing goes for foamcore, gator, etc

Brian A
Title: Re: HFA spray on Hahnemuhle Ultrasmooth
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on September 01, 2012, 03:58:01 pm
i'm so old i can't even remember going to school. ;)