Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Jilek on August 25, 2012, 09:28:12 pm

Title: Streamside black and white.
Post by: David Jilek on August 25, 2012, 09:28:12 pm
Went out this morning to shoot some film with the old Hassey and forgot the cable release. So I ended up shooting with the D2x instead. Which crop is more fitting? I'm leaning toward the square...
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 25, 2012, 10:38:50 pm
I'll go with the square.
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: jeremypayne on August 25, 2012, 11:14:43 pm
I'll go with the square.


+1
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: David Jilek on August 25, 2012, 11:37:12 pm
I wasn't sure if it was my desire to shoot sqaurewas  influencing my final choice on crop or not.
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: WalterEG on August 26, 2012, 06:25:49 pm
Square wins out for me - shame it is wretched digital and not film, though.  Maybe you need a large skin piercing in the nose or ear lobe through which you and tie your cable release.

Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: David Jilek on August 26, 2012, 10:09:19 pm
Maybe I'll just stck a extra release in the car for those times I might forget. Less painful!
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: wolfnowl on August 27, 2012, 01:40:53 am
They're very different images in terms of what they represent, but as an old 6x6 man I'd go with the square too.

Mike.
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: RobbieV on August 27, 2012, 03:22:19 pm
As a young crop sensor man, I'd go with the square.
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 28, 2012, 11:06:51 am
Square looks better for me too David. Man I miss the days where I spent afternoons just sitting and listening to the sounds of a river.
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: PeterAit on August 28, 2012, 11:16:15 am
You've got some very nice tones in there, although I wonder if you have tried a little less contrast. I prefer the rectangle over the square because the rectangular shape seems to reflect and reinforce the movement of the water.
Title: Re: Streamside black and white.
Post by: RSL on August 28, 2012, 12:00:16 pm
Just be careful you don't get near that goo in the stream. It could grab you and stick to you.