Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: saltlaker on August 24, 2012, 05:57:11 pm

Title: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: saltlaker on August 24, 2012, 05:57:11 pm
I had some clogging on my Epson 9800 and ran some cleaning cycles and it didn't help much so for the first time every I ran a power cleaning cycle.

 During the cleaning it had me raise and lower the in levers about 15 times which seemed odd to me.

 After the power cleaning no ink at all comes out. I contacted Epson they said run another power cleaning.  This time I only had to raise and lower the ink levers once. Still nothing comes out.

 So why would there be such a difference between power cleaning cycles and of course WHAT DO I DO NOW??? 

Any suggestions?    I'm in kind of a panic.

Thanks,
Craig
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: Ken Doo on August 24, 2012, 07:15:04 pm
You might find some helpful tips here:  http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.I/id.118/.f

ken
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: bill t. on August 24, 2012, 08:44:13 pm
My 9880 never quite got to that point.  But when it was feeling cloggy, I would manually pull the shuttle assembly out of its parking position and onto about 3 layers of paper towels quite wet with distilled water or even Windex.  Pat the wet towel down onto the black plastic stuff, and push down the sides so they won't grab the edge of the shuttle.  A few swipes back and forth, then a fresh wet towel for a 10 to 15 minute soak.  Of course the printer is off for all this.  There's a little blue latch thing you have to manual release to get the head mobile.  And don't forget to wipe the rubber squeegee thing and generally clean the parking station.  I just hated all that stuff.

But I'm also thinking that for all colors to be down, something like your pressure pump may be bad.  Never had that personally.
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 24, 2012, 10:23:27 pm
I agree with Bill.  If there's no ink at all, I'd be looking at either the pump or a pressure leak somewhere.  Did it suddenly stop all inks?  Or gradually clog up?  What's its usage history?  Has it been sitting unused?

When charging my 9800 with new 3rd party ink, I did two power cleaning cycles to purge the existing ink and had no more than three or four ink lever commands per clean and no difference between the the two cleans in terms of lever actions.
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: saltlaker on August 24, 2012, 11:39:38 pm
It hasn't been sitting.  Moderate use, 3-4 times per week. It was printing  some before the power cleaning but after the power cleaning- nothing.  I'm in Salt Lake City and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone in the area that can take a look at it. I'm not sure what my next step should be.

I agree with Bill.  If there's no ink at all, I'd be looking at either the pump or a pressure leak somewhere.  Did it suddenly stop all inks?  Or gradually clog up?  What's its usage history?  Has it been sitting unused?

When charging my 9800 with new 3rd party ink, I did two power cleaning cycles to purge the existing ink and had no more than three or four ink lever commands per clean and no difference between the the two cleans in terms of lever actions.
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: bill t. on August 25, 2012, 12:37:13 am
Have you checked the Epson Wide Format Group (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWideFormat/) on Yahoo?  It is the biggest repository of nuts & bolts information about the 9800 and its relatives on planet Earth.
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on August 25, 2012, 09:13:09 am
call http://www.ais-tech.us/
he rebuilds 9800's
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: Craig Murphy on August 28, 2012, 12:11:03 pm
AIS.  Great resource.  Thanks for posting.
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: Wayne Fox on August 29, 2012, 03:55:39 pm
It hasn't been sitting.  Moderate use, 3-4 times per week. It was printing  some before the power cleaning but after the power cleaning- nothing.  I'm in Salt Lake City and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone in the area that can take a look at it. I'm not sure what my next step should be.

well, I'm in salt lake and we've repaired some Epson printers, but I'll be honest if it's printing no ink at all it's not a "clogging" issue.  You can run all the power cleans you want, but most likely the head has died.  If it is the head, it isn't worth the money to replace ...
Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 29, 2012, 11:03:31 pm
I'm in Salt Lake City and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone in the area that can take a look at it.

What about inkjetart.com ?  They're in SLC and they're a retailer for large format Epson.

Title: Re: Epson 9800 totally clogged- need help(suggestions)
Post by: NeedToKnowMore on August 30, 2012, 02:39:31 pm
let me comment on AIS. Scott worked with me for 3 days and at least 4hrs of phone time.
use his ink and he'll give you a profile for what every paper your using.