Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: AndyS on August 24, 2012, 02:14:43 am
-
Hi,
One way or another I have ended up with a Manual focus Nikon 200mm f2.0
Is there still much demand for this lens if I was to look at selling it? The AF version obviously still commands a good price, but can't find much info about demand for the manual version.
I'm a Canon shooter and primarily a landscape one at that, so the truth is that any money I could get from it would be better invested elsewhere.
Thanks for any advice,
Andrew.
-
I would love such a lens but am in no position to justify (to myself) the purchase of one.
FWIW, I'd suggest keeping it and buying yourself a Nikon body; you don't need to expand the Nikon kit from here, but you do give yourself a cool option. Of course, this depends on your having a sound lens; I'm sure you'd have a friend with a Nikon who'd be willing to try it out with you.
Birds in hand etc.; regrets later of lost opportunities...
;-)
Rob C
-
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the comments. I have actually got an EF Adaptor plate atatched to the lens, so have had some usage out of it on my 5D MkII, although it is a beast of a lens!
It is a cool option to play around with, but if I can get a reasonable amount of money back on the lens then there might be some other cool thing I'd like to try instead. That said a 200mm f2.0 does produce some beautiful bokeh :D
Andrew.
-
Here is a link to a review of the lens. http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html You'll need to scroll down. If it were mine, I'd keep it, but I'm a Nikon shooter.
Edit; you'll need to select Lenses from the column on the left, select medium and then scroll down. Sorry, I thought the link would take you directly to the reviews.
-
A very clean copy recently sold on ebay for around 1000 pounds, so it's got some value still.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-200mm-f-2-ED-NIKKOR-Ai-S-MANUAL-FOCUSING-LENS-in-Superb-Condition-/380461949449?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item58954ca209
-
You don't need to buy a Nikon body to use it as there are several Nikon lens to Canon EF mount body adapters, some for not a lot of money. I'd try one before you sell the lens. I don't know what you shoot what you shoot but besides it's obvious intended use for sports it makes for an awesome portrait and beauty lens.
-
Hi,
Thanks for the comments, some thinking to do perhaps. I have an EF adaptor so will try to get some use out of the lens in the next month or so and then decide what to do.
Mine doesn't have the hood with it, or the cover, but the optics and the mechanisms themselves seem to be in good condition - just a very small nick on the front element which, from what I can tell, doesn't seem to affect the IQ.
Thanks,
Andrew
-
That lens is particularly vulnerable to flare, so I think you may want to track down the proper hood for it.